Engine start up 1992 camry

I have a '92 camry and sometimes it cranks and sometimes it doesn't. Particularly in the morning and early afternoon its working fine, however around 6 or 7 it generally start acting funny and won't start. When this happens my radio,lights, etc. all come on, but the car makes no noise. I've had my battery, starter, and alternator checked and they all checked out fine......I'm clueless and so is everyone else.....do you have a clue as to what this could be????

Reply to
SunKissedHoney

When it won't crank while in Park, does it crank when you shift it to Neutral instead? If so your "safety neutral" switch needs attention, but you can get along for a while by starting this way. Also make sure the ground cable is properly secured to the frame.

Reply to
RC135U

Sounds like the starter solenoid. There are contacts in it which often go bad. Some good info here....

YMMV DFB

Reply to
NickySantoro

Sounds like the safety neutral switch (which prevents starting except when the transmission is in Park or Neutral). The contacts in the switch get dirty or don't make good contact and that keeps the starter circuit from being energized. If you normally start in "Park" try starting in "Neutral." Another technique is to move the shift lever back and forth through the gear positions (to clean the switch contacts), and then try to start.

I am assuming you have an automatic transmission, but a manual transmission has the same feature.

I had an 87 Camry that did the same thing. If it is like my 87 Camry, the switch is on the transmission and can be disassembled and cleaned, saving you the cost of a new switch. Don't think the Toyota dealer will do that, howvever--they will want to replace the switch with a new one (over $100 just for the part, if I remember correctly).

Merritt

Reply to
Merritt Mullen