2001 Ranger 4X4 XLT 4.0 SOHC will not start

But it starts immediately & runs great after jump or a long drive. I had the battery & alternator checked at local AutoZone and they appear fine. The guy mentioned it might be the alternator fuse, but all I see is the inline fuse-able link. Is there another fuse, or maybe an altogether different issue?

Reply to
rick

My car won't start but it starts and runs after a jump or a long drive. Battery & alternator were checked at AutoZone and they are fine. The guy mentioned it might be the alternator fuse, but all I see is the inline fusible link. Is there another fuse, or maybe a different issue? _______________________________________________________

Dead battery? Low charging voltage? Corroded cables?

Exactly what happens when you turn the key?

Nothing. Lots of clicking but starter doesn't turn. Starter turns slowly. Starter cranks okay but no ignition. Engine sputters during cranking but won't catch. There is a strange sound. There is smoke. The dash lights dim. Any other symptoms.

There is no way anyone can help if you can not describe even one symptom other than "my car won't start."

Good luck.

Rodan.

Reply to
Rodan

Sorry I wasn't clear before.

It clicks when I try to start it, radio lights go dim, I tried turning on the windshield wipers, they came on & I hit the headlights, wipers slowed dramatically.

It doesn't try to spin starter, just clicks the relay like crazy. Cables & connections appear clean & intact. The AutoZone automatic testers said the battery & alternator were fine, but I have very little trust in those.

It starts immediately when jumper cables are hooked up, and will run fine. And it will restart once after a long drive (even after waiting all night). It will NOT start again without a jump.

Thx!

Reply to
rick

Sounds like what you describe is corroded battery terminals.If it has those bolt on battery cable ends on the end of the cables,take them off and clean them good.you aren't getting a good connection at the battery. Bobby

Reply to
bobby swift