engine vibration

Hi!

Is it possible that, on a 5 year old car (2001 4L Camry, 70K), the engine suspension, the engine mounts and the transmission mounts could get "weaker" or not as "absorbant" as when they were new and let get through more vibration from the engine to the body? My engine feels more rough now. Like someone drilling into the body. It was sooo smooth until a year ago. It's like driving a cheaper car. Quite noticeable (except for the dealer...) at

1800 to 2500rpm. I can even feel this when the car is stopped and reving the engine only.

Tom

Reply to
T. Atkin

Motors do still need tuneups, oil changes are not the only thing a car needs.

Reply to
m Ransley

my friend... it depends on the climate where you are driving your car. normaly engine mount needs to chage every three years cause the rubber arround the mounts getting damaged by wether and motor heat. does vibrate while running or only when you stop (i.e. for trafic...parking...etc)

Reply to
Nubian

Ah, OK. I'll do it when it gets up to 200,000 miles. The chariot is running fine with 152,000 right now and my old Honda had 187,000 and no tuneups when it's frame rusted out. So if there is some adjustment the computer cannot make which will prevent rust, I'll jump right on it.

Reply to
Stubby

===================================== For engine mounts, first check the upper "dog bone" engine moving control rod bushings. They're the most susceptible to wear, and then put more stress on the front and rear engine mounts. If you just look carefully, you can inspect for incipient cracking. Could be something else going on though, like a weak spark plug wire, or bent exhaust component. Perhaps if you could find another mechanic who could see and feel what you are noticing, you'd have more luck tracking it down. The mechanic may be able to isolate the problem just by doing a careful visual inspection under the car, or reading an engine diagnostic scope pattern. The "drilling into the body" sounds to me like a vibrating part contacting the frame - that's why I suggested a bent exhaust component. Just guessing of course.

Reply to
Daniel

You're the first one who says engine mounts need to be changed after few years. So far, all mechanics I know say "Oh! They're good for life!". They means the car's life of course. Still, as you said, I can't believe these can perform as well after a few years absorbing engine vibration and heat.

I'll keep investigating about this! Tom

Reply to
T. Atkin

Ive never had a Toy or any car need mounts, not 20 yr old cars. But I don`t beat up my cars.

Only an idiot would run a car without regular tune ups, the computer does not make the timing, it only follows what timing it is given as a starting point.. Fact, a stretched timing belt easily can Retard timing

4 degrees, a 4 degree retard can easily reduce milage 3-5 mpg, reduce engine temp 40f, increase carbon and pollution and reduce power 2-10%. Fact, poor spark caused by lack of maintenace on plugs, wires, cap, rotor, [coil if necessary] low main voltage can reduce power, efficiency and increase pollution by a noticable %. Same aplies to the Air filter, Oxygen Sensor and many other items only an idiot would ignore. But I still get 35 mpg on a 91, few people do, and you Non Tune up people, post your Mpg figures, I need a good laugh today.
Reply to
m Ransley