Flashing Red led on 96 Camry dash ?

I just bought a 96 Camry 4 cylinder automatic. It has a flashing red led on the dash left of the steering wheel directly below the power mirror control. Can anyone tell me what this is for ?

Thanks so much.

ken

Reply to
Ken Day

"Theft alarm active" indicator?

Luc K

Reply to
Luc Kumps

Speaking of which... If you want to make a cheap 'fake theft alarm' - go to Radio Shack & pick up a pack of their LED roadside flares - usually 3 for $10.00. Inside the yellow dome of each roadside flare is a super bright red flashing LED - powered by a 3 volt buton cell.

What I did is remove the LED from the road flare and mount it on the flat piece of plastic between the dash and the steering wheel. To power the LED I used a resistor to reduce the 12V of the car to 3V - and combined it with a very low ampacity fuse for safety. The extremely low power draw of the LED allows it to just run 24 hours a day. I added a switch to allow me to turn it off if desired.

Voila! a super cheap fake burglar alarm...