dash flashing red lite 2008

hi all.

when i turn off my new 2008 XR5 Miata grand touring automatic, a red light flashes continuously on the status lights near the speedometer. it is a small red car with a key superimposed on it and it never goes away. days later it still is flashing.

i dont have a car alarm, but i do have keyless entry with the folding key holder.

my dealer service mgr said it was related to the keyless entry system and it was supposed to flash this way.

i am dubious, though, because it looks more like a warning lite?

anyone know what it is?

thanks dave

---------------------

Reply to
dave

Do you have the key with you when you check if it is still flashing? If so, try leaving the key in the house and then go out and check it.

Reply to
greenpjs

I'll bet it's in your owner's manual...though it might take an hour to find it. Perhaps it's listed under "useless dark current loads?"

On my 2007 Mazda3, it's the immobilizer indicator. It flashes whenever the key is out of the ignition. I don't have keyless entry, just the standard $150 key.

The 3's stupidest warning light is the green one that reminds me my headlights are on. Well, duh. I'm surprised it's not accompanied by a chime (for blind drivers, of course).

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

We have 2004 UK Mazda 3 Sport. The green warning light is useful when it is off to let us know when the automatic lights have not come on and should have. The car also has automatic windscreen/shield wipers which work quite well in daylight. Problem is that they seem to rely on light falling on a sensor that notices when the light pattern varies because of droplets on the screen/shield. On a dark road they do not work. I usually drive our 2007 MX-5. Much easier with manual everything.

I know our 3 has a flashing red alarm light but not sure about the MX-5 and I am not going out in the rain to check.

Reply to
Invisible Man

To quote page 5-48 of the owner's manual for my 2006:

Security Indicator Light

This indicator light starts flashing every 2 seconds when the ignition switch is turned from the ON to the ACC position and the immobilizer system is armed.

The light stops flashing when the ignition switch is turned to the ON position with the correct ignition key. At this time, the immobilizer system is disarmed and the lights illuminates for about 3 seconds and then goes out.

If the engine doesn't start with the correct ignition key, the security indicator light keeps illuminating or flashing, the system may have a malfunction. Consult an Authorized Mazda Dealer.

Reply to
John McGaw