Frozen brake cable

It's really cold today, in the single digits. This morning when I started my '97 Camry, the brake light stayed on when I released the parking brake. It felt like the cable didn't release after the last click. It was fine last night.

I called my mechanic, and he suggested driving forwards and backwards a little, and pulling gently on the brake cables (which are under the car just in front of each rear wheel). It didn't help.

Is there anything else I can try? What about using a hair dryer to thaw the cable? Are there specific places where the cable or other parts usually freeze?

I didn't think of it at the time, but it could be a different problem with the brake system. I'll check the reservoir fluid level. Is there anything else?

For next time I know not to set the parking brake on level ground in the winter.

Jimmy

Reply to
Jimmy

I learned many years ago not to use the "emergency " brake in the winter and consequently now I dont even use it in the warm weather , relying on the "park" position of the transmission to hold the vehicle Ed

Reply to
mred