emergency brake cable question

i just had work done on my 98 jetta done today and my mechanic told me that i would have to eventually replace my emergency brake cables soon because they are corroded. he said that eventually they will stick, which will mess up my whole braking system.....but i don't use my e-brake at all so i'm wondering if it's possible for the e-brake to stick w/out me even using it??? i wasn't sure if my mechanic was under the assumption that i used the e-brake or not.....any help would be great.

Reply to
Ben867-5309

Yes, if somebody else uses the car. Otherwise no.

I think your mechanic figures that having a working emergency/parking brake is important.

In cold weather they have a tendency to get water in the cables and freeze engaged. It is very hard on the rear disks and pads if you then drive. I got in the habit of parking in gear rather than using the brake, tho I did replace my cables this summer.

Reply to
Tom's VR6

Frankly you should use it, but I doubt if you will start, until you find out why. BTW it is more properly identified as a "parking" brake.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Depends on when you use it. If I have an emergency situation and I need it, it then becomes an emergency brake :)

Reply to
Matt B.

About 20 years ago I had to use my parking brake in an emergency. Trust me, in an emergency when the brake line fails it is a poor substitute. I got a lot more help from putting the transmission in first. Lucky for me and my 1970 VW Bug, no one was coming through the intersection at that time. However I see you pont.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Better than nothing though!

If misused you of course can lock the rear wheels. If you're trying to stop straight that's not so bad. If you've locked the rear wheels and you want to swerve, then you're in big trouble because you'll spin instead of swerving.

But it's still better than nothing.

Reply to
Matt B.

In my case, it would have had to be ice freshly cleaned by the zamboni to lock the rear wheels. :-)

Reply to
Joseph Meehan