Gas Cap Lock

I cannot pop open my gas cap cover. When I filled up, I pulled the lever and popped it open, a pin fell out but I didn't have time to figure out where to put it back in, so I just closed it. Now after pulling the lever, nothing happens. Anyone know what I can do before I run out of gas?

I own a 99 camry V6.

Reply to
david

It's one of the very few weakly engineered areas in the Camry. Back to the dealer for you.

Reply to
Sharx35

Reply to
steve

Those little things always break. Sounds like you're decribing the fuel door spring falling apart. They're only a few bucks from the dealer, and a breeze to pop back in. In the meantime, you can open your fuel door by pulling on the release lever and prying open the trailing edge of the door with a flat head. Unless you're 10 feet tall, you'll need someones help.

Reply to
qslim

Get a flexible piece of plastic, like a credit card or thinner.

At the back edge of the fuel door, slide the card or plastic edgewise from one corner and work it under the pin. It should pop open.

Reply to
Hachiroku

You're on the nose. It was the spring clip. Cost me about $5.00 and took like 10 seconds to put back in. I watched the mechanic pop open the fuel door as described by your post.

Thanks for the input!

Reply to
david