Has anyone ever fixed the poor headlighting on '99's?

Hi,

I have a '99 Camry XLE.

I imported some Osram Silverstars from Europe, but even though they say 50% more light I really couldn't see much of a change.

I have cleaned the lenses with the recommended Plexor plastic cleaner.

I have seen reports on the output of various headlight bulbs and the Camry H4/9003 bulb specs have to be one of the weakest available. Why Toyota chose it I don't know. I don't want fancy colors, just good bright white light on the road. I don't think PIAA's are the way to go, so what other options are available to me?

Thanks!

Reply to
Father Guido

badgolferman

LOL, yeah that should work!

Reply to
Father Guido

That link doesn't work.

Reply to
sharx35

Whenever you get a link spread over two lines, copy the second line (CTRL+C), then click on the first line, it won't work, but it will put the first line into the address bar, then just place your cursor at the end of the address bar and paste (CTRL+V) then press RETURN. Voila!

Reply to
Father Guido

The blue lights should be OUTLAWED!!!!!!!!!!!! The damn things blind oncoming drivers.

We have a 1999 Camry and there is nothing wrong with the amount of light. Our headlights put out a very reasonable amount of light.

Check to make sure your lights are grounded properly. A poor ground can cause lights to be dimmer than they should.

Check the alignment of your headlights.

Reply to
Clay

I have the same car and my headlights suck. I installed a couple of Bosch driving lights on the bumper but this was unsatisfactory as they bounced around too much (if I were to do it again I would make some brackets to attach them through the radiator vent holes to a metal structural member). Also, they were illegal for on-road use in my jurisdiction. I took them off after a few months.

I tried higher-wattage bulbs once but they only lasted 6 months, which was unacceptable to me in comparison with the 6 year life I got out of the original ones.

I haven't tried it, but one lighting consultant I corresponded with suggested taking the light housings off the car and sloshing some soapy water around the inside to clean. You can also just replace the housings if that doesn't work.

Toyota improved the lighting design on the 2000-2001 cars but I understand that these new housings won't fit previous-model-year models.

Reply to
Nobody Important

You might want to see if HIR bulbs are available for that car.

I don't know anything about this company:

but that site describes the technology. I put them in a 2005 Accord hybrid with horrible headlights and it was a tremendous improvement with no risk of burning wiring and no stupid tint. Just lots more light. I had to trim the plastic fitting to match the OEM bulbs to get them to fit. No big deal.

Check with snipped-for-privacy@candlepower.ca for availablilty. That is where I got mine from.

Reply to
Art