How to keep locks from getting frozen?

You do know that if you look closely at the boxes of locksets, you can find key codes and just make sure to buy boxes with the same key code, eliminating the need to rekey locks, right?

Reply to
KLS

FWIW, the Schlage crap at Home Depot sucks too. Just try to have them key a few locks the same and watch them cuss over the sloppy manufacturing tolerances and ruin a few locksets before they manage to get your locks keyed the same.

-- Todd H.

Todd H.

That's what they've been saying in alt.locksmithing lately.

Reply to
clifto

Do you have one of those that uses electronic spark ignition?

Reply to
clifto

what?

Reply to
Kk

hardware store OCDman speaks

man yer weird

Reply to
Kk

Not defending Schlage quality, but for residential use in a less-than-high-crime area, probably good enough. As to getting them keyed alike, just buy knobs and deadbolt sets with the same keying number printed on the box. If you can get there just after a shipment comes in, getting 2 or 3 sets with the same keying should not be a problem. That is what I did when I moved into this place.

No, they ain't commercial-grade locks, but then again, I paid about 40 bucks a door, not 200. I wouldn't put them on a door that had a key inserted 40 times a day, but for twice a day, I expect they will easily last a decade or more.

aem sends...

aem sends...

Reply to
<aemeijers

you married with a girlfriend?

Reply to
kenji

Yes, in the ideal world where they have the mix of lock styles you need with that came code in stock, it does eliminate the need to have a home depot employee cuss at Schlage tolerances and machining.

-- Todd H.

Todd H.

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Brent P) said in chi.general:

That settles it, then. The OP has to move to the sun belt.

Reply to
Scott en Aztlán

OK, in your case use a flint and steel.

trent

Reply to
trent

Or just buy a BIC lighter, for Pete's sake, and put it in your pocket -- they cost, what, a whole dollar?? I don't smoke, but after the second time getting shut out of my car by a frozen lock, I started carrying a lighter with me in the winter. Until I sold that car, that is. I never had that problem on any other car I've ever owned, before or after.

Reply to
Doug Miller

snipped-for-privacy@toddh.net (Todd H.) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@ripco.com:

The moral of the story is to not have your locksets keyed at HD. If you need a thinking person to help you, then go to the hardware store or a locksmith. If you're in business then I recommend Express Hardware in Barrington, but they don't sell retail.

The people that work at HD and Menards might be good for telling you where to find something, but little else.

Reply to
Eric

recently on craigslist there was a guy who said he was an employee and that he was giving tea room service at specific times at a Menards.

Reply to
kenji

thank you, mr. obvious man

Reply to
HUey

HUey wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.ftupet.com:

I saw some milk bottle cap molds on clearance over in the tool aisle. You should check them out.

Reply to
Eric

stop it yer killing me!

Reply to
HUey

HUey wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.ftupet.com:

These were for 110% heterosexual milk bottles. That may be a bit much for you .

Reply to
Eric

yer on a roll!

Reply to