Hydraulic jack

As a beginner home-mechanic I have simple problems... But I need a help from you, experienced mechanics :-)

I have purchased a hydraulic jack, small - 2 tons type... It has the part which lifts the car in a form of a small, round plate with four "teeth".

Here is my problem: where do I put it under my camry to support it high not damaging its underbody parts ?

The standard, cross-threading jack has a metal groove which fits the lip with two notches on the edge below the door... The user manual shows were to use it... Bu trying to use hydraulic jack in that place causes this lip to bend only... so it will not work...

Second spot I could imagine using for support, are two long square beams running from the lenght of the car. But they are soft as well. Even if I protect the surface with a piece of 2x4, I can see during lifting the car these beams bend a lot and permanently deform...

Another spot would be somewhere in front, where engine is, but I have not even tried picking a spot, in fear of destroying something...

I have watched a lift used by profesional mechanics in the shop, and it is using two grabbers on each side of the car: one for front, one for back, so all 4 work together lifting the car, so the weight of the car is spread over four of them, not placed on one small spot like when I try to use my single hydraulic jack...

So please - tell me how do you use your jack to lift the car securely on the jack-stands in your home garage ?

Reply to
Pszemol

================================ Use the "subframes" front and rear. There is a sperical central lifting point on each. Be sure to use jack stands front and rear for safety. At the rear, use 2x4 12" long to help protect spot welds at the sides. In the front, the jack stands can go on the subframe, next to the hydraulic jack. To help you locate subframes, in front the engine mounts are attached, in the rear, the suspension links are attached. They are the large steel frame sections that run across. Do not try lifting from the boxed in sections that are longitudinal. Those are just stiffening ribs for the unibody undercarriage - relatively thin sheet metal. The subrames are designed to hold the weight of the car and are indicated by Toyota as approved lifting points.

Reply to
Daniel