99 Camry oil change

I bought my 99 Camry V6, used and it didn't come with a users manual. I have a couple of questions if someone could help me out. How many quarts of oil does it take? And where is the oil pan located? I looked under the car and think I see it but I want to be sure. Thanks for your help. Aaron

Reply to
booneab

Sorry, Aaron, but I'm not going to help you. With your lack of knowledge about oil capacity and not definitely being able to identify an oil pan, I feel you're an ideal candidate for a 'jiffy lube" type of establishment. You'll spend only a few dollars more than if you did it yourself, the old oil will be disposed of legally, and they'll remove and install an oil filter for you, which you might find troublesome to do yourself. (Also, the jack won't fall and drop the car on you while you're underneath.) All things considered, do yourself a favor and drop the idea of changing your own oil... it isn't worth it, for a few bucks saved. Your car and your guardian angel will thank you.

Reply to
mack

The oil pan is under the car, where you should not be with your lack of knowledge of everything.

Reply to
m Ransley

It takes 5qts of oil, and the oilpan is on the bottom of the engine, which is on the right side of the engine bay. If you are interested in doing maintenance on your car, I would highly recommend getting a Chilton service manual for about 20 bucks. Not only does it have information for the questions you have, in the begining of each chapter there is a 'theory of operation' section that gives a basic description of the systems in the car. And don't get bummed out by people that attack you for asking basic questions like these. Sometimes folks get real excited when they see someone that knows less than they do, and they use it as an opportunity to look tough. Ask away.

Reply to
qslim

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Oh, BS. I don't get "real excited" when I see an auto neophyte, nor do I use the opportunity to 'look tough' (whatever that's supposed to mean). Nor do I 'attack' him for asking questions. We all need to learn on occasion. But when someone doesn't know the number of quarts of oil it takes to fill the crankcase, nor where to find the oil pan, let alone the drain plug, and doesn't mention anything about changing the oil filter, all I see is someone who, given the chance, will allow the automobile to fall off the jack (no, not jackstands, mind you, but the screwjack) while he's under the vehicle trying to find the drain plug. I'm trying to save the fellow's life, for pete's sake, not put him down. But go ahead and give him all the information he needs to break his neck. It's on YOUR head now. :-)

Reply to
mack

Fair enough, but that is why I insisted he review a service manual for his car. Just because someone doesn't know how much oil his car takes doesn't mean he can't be pointed in the right direction to figure it out. People aren't born with the knowledge of an oil pan location.

Reply to
qslim

==================== Should not be necessary to use a hydraulic (or scissors) jack to drain the oil. Just reach under the engine oil pan to the drain plug. Break loose the drain bolt without removing it, then slide the drain pan under it and remove by hand - that is use the socket by hand due to the limited clearance, the bolt is hot. That way you're draining and filling it while level. Usually eBay has owner's manuals for sale inexpensively, and they're the final authority. Well worth the small investment to learn what Toyota wanted the Owner to know. Not sure about '99 but mine has fuse and relay locations and descriptions, specifications for light bulb replacement, recommended lubricants and maintenance, etc. And I agree with qslim - how you going to know the capacities without a book? Often they're something like 3.8 or 1.7 qts. Just be careful you're on the correct side of the engine bay and removing the engine oil drain plug, not automatic transmission (although you may want to do that one next). :?)

Reply to
Daniel

If you can do this without a jack(stands, that is) you're either the world's thinnest individual, or have arms that drag on the ground! (Or you have a lube pit built into the garage floor.) I can't imagine getting far enough under the vehicle without hoising it up about a foot. Comments from others who can do this without lifting the vehicle?

Reply to
mack

Its a pain in the ass, but you can reach a 14mm wrench under there if all you need to do is get the drainplug off. You can't do much more than that ( like check for leaks, look at the front inner pads, etc.), but you can at least drain oil if you're really in a pinch.

Reply to
qslim

Umm, if you need a wrench to get at the drainplug, can you replace it by hand without the wrench to reach the hole? Otherwise, you have no way to replenish the oil, right? It's been my rule the last few years that it's just not worth the effort and possible injury to change my own oil...and now with increased gasoline cost, it probably costs a buck or more just to schlep the old oil back to the recycler station. when fast lube places have an advertised special, I go there and resist all offers to get my coolant replaced, get the transmission fluid drained and filled, etc etc. I usually just say "it's just been done" and that ends all discussion and sales spiel. The only downside to my plan is that you're somewhat limited to your choice of oil brand, but as long as it's not Pennzoil, I'm happy.

Reply to
mack

I think the safety risk is minimized if you buy a pair of ramps, which aren't expensive and are much more stable than a jack. You do have to have enough skill with the gas and brake pedals to avoid overshooting the end of the ramps, though.

I don't find that it takes a lot of effort. I can do it in 15 minutes with the help of my fumoto valve (fumotovalve.com), which elminates the need to mess with the drain plug.

I don't use them in general, but most quickie lube places in my part of the world will allow you to bring your own oil, and they knock $5.00 off the price of the job because you did.

Reply to
Nobody Important

I guess it comes down to whether or not you enjoy working on your own car. A lot of guys enjoy getting in there and don't think about the net savings of DIY, if any.

Reply to
qslim

You're probably right, qslim, but after doing possibly 50 oil changes on my cars (and after doing oil changes as a kid in a gas station for a couple of years) the thrill is gone. So now it's jiffy-lube, or masterlube or one of the other franchises. and I can read a magazine while it's being done.

Reply to
mack

Try reaching in from the side - just in front of the passenger side tire. With a shop light near the front to illuminate the area, it is not particularly difficult.

Reply to
Daniel

Don't know what the fuss about changing oil without a hydraulic jack. I've been changing engine oil in 4 different cars for years without one. All you need is extended yourself a little under the front of the car and you can reach the drain plug. It is the simpliest job that a first timer can learn very easily, as long as he/she has the proper instruction and not afraid to ge a little dirty.

Reply to
aiuser