interior dashboard light won't come on

I faced a weird problem yesterday night with my 96 Toyota Camry. I turned on the headlight, the dashboard light won't come on. I couldn't see the speedometer and any other displays, no illumination what so ever inside the cabin except for the cabin light. Can I fix it myself? I think this is a fuse problem. Tell me what you think. Regards. FHC

Reply to
farhanh96

Check to see if there is voltage coming out of the rheostat. Sounds probable if all of your display lights are out.

Reply to
qslim

Interesting. I answered this through another server and it didn't show up!

Check under the dash for a connector that may have come partially loose. This happens in my Mom's Camry every so often.

Reply to
HachiRoku

I would check your dimmer inside the car, on the dash. I have had this problem after cleaning the car. Sometimes we bump the dimmer all the way down, then nothing works! Check it out. D

Reply to
Daniel Henderson

Oh, no, in my case I know it's a wire in trhe connector. I have had the dimmer problem before. Real easy to fix:

Because you usually set the dimmer and forget it, it builds up (carbon? for lack of a better word? Like contacts on a switch. The contact that is normally closed gets like a build-up on it). Take the dimmer out and rub the stationary part (damn, I can't remember...I was an electronics tech, too! The part that moves is called the wiper, at least *that* I remember!) with a pencil eraser....LIGHTLY!!! Or, get some contact cleaner at Radio Shack.

Reply to
HachiRoku