1994 Camry; Ignition start failing first two tries and then starts later !!

Hi, I have 1994 Camry 4-cyl LE.

Recently I started seeing the ignition fail issue. First two or three ignitions, Engine doesn't start. On further trials, able to start the car so far. its same behavior either morning,afternoon,evening (i.e cold or hot).

Note: I have a broken hose connecting Engine and Air filter. And also Battery is year old and I could see that its fully operational.

  1. Is this indication of Starter module about to fail ??

Appreciate if you could give hints on potential problem could be.

Thanks, Rama

Reply to
Ramakrishna Devisetti

It could be allot of things even cheap gas. I suggest a tune up since it doesnt seem to be maintained

Reply to
m Ransley

able

Reply to
Alex Marcuzzi

You mean the engine turns over but does not start - or fails to crank? If turning over but engine not running - check ignition coil. If not cranking, check starter contacts.

Reply to
Daniel M. Dreifus

Problem is, it fails to crank.. Turn on the key, no cranking noise.. (Of course, Radio lights will be turned on).

As you said, I will check for starter contacts... Shall I have to check for any physical loose contact or so ??

Thanks, Rama

able

Reply to
Ramakrishna Devisetti

I meant , start the car it takes a few tries before the starter motor turns the engine.

Appreciate your guidance.

Thanks, Rama

Reply to
Ramakrishna Devisetti

Starter, starter solenoid, bad ground, bad positive lead, bad key switch, etc etc

Reply to
m Ransley

Go to this site and it shows you how to fix your problem.

I replaced my contacts a couple of years ago and it has been working fine since. Hope this helps. Alex.

for

trials,

Reply to
Alex Marcuzzi

Regarding physically loose connections, you should always check the battery posts and cables for signs of corrosion or looseness. Acid at battery posts can be cleaned off with baking soda and water solution and then coated with vaseline to retard future corrosion. If you've got acid growing like fuzzy mould between the lead post and the cable ends, you won't have a good electrical connection. But assuming the battery posts are clean, connections tight, and the starter is malfunctioning, the most common problem area is the solenoid "contacts". Nippon Denso makes very good starter motor assemblies, so you can usually save money and avoid a lower quality rebuilt starter by just changing the copper contacts inside the starter solenoid. If you want to go one step further, you could also change the starter solenoid plunger. Dealer should have those contacts, or you could ask a mechanic to change the "starter solenoid copper contacts". These contacts take high amperage current every time the car starts, so they wear down over time until they only make intermittent contact as you're describing.

Reply to
Daniel M. Dreifus

I had a similar problem on my 1994 a few months ago. The starter was on its way out, and had to be replaced.

-- Roger

Reply to
Roger4336

I have the same problem with my 94 camry. What did you do to you car finally? and how much it cost? Thanks, Rick

Reply to
rickzhao

I met the same problem on my 94 camry recently. Did you fix it out? How? And how much does it cost? Thanks, Rick

Reply to
rickzhao

Daniel,

Thanks for your suggestions. Yesterday, I took out Start unit and gave it NAPA auto store. They Tested it with automated test equipment and told its working fine.

I bought Battery brush and cleaned the leads and also contacts at Battery and starter wires. After assembling back, now engine starts in one start.

Now I am hearing different start sound (loud start) compared to past.

During this process, once I dropped the starter unit from 2 ft high.. But I tightened the nuts to the best of my ability. Do you have any suggestions whether to check for any tightening the bolts etc..

BTW, while removing starter unit bolts, shall I have to remove Cruise control unit (autozone web site says to remove this unit). I removed Starter asssembly without removing Cruise control unit, but went through lot of diffculty in reaching other bolt.

Appreciate your inputs.

Regards, Rama

(Of

for

Reply to
Ramakrishna Devisetti

Your car weighs well over one ton. There are high pressure systems, dangerous or explosive chemicals, and precision components that operate at very close tolerances. After dropping the starter motor and inadvertently venting A/C refrigerant, you may want to seriously reconsider working on the car yourself. Those starter contacts were _inside_ the solenoid. Tightening the exterior connections is helpful, but not the same. The starter may test good out of the car, but still have an intermittent problem. Sorry, but I would not recommend disassembling the starter solenoid or recharging the air conditioning system based on what you've said so far. Fasteners need to be tightened to the correct torque - not over tightened or under tightened to perform correctly over the long term. "tightened to the best of my ability" makes me nervous. First time I took apart a Chevy engine, I thought I was being careful but switched the main bearing caps, so we all can make mistakes. You need to determine whether you have the time, patience, and ability to read and learn and the money to fix the mistakes made as you progress to competence. It takes a number of years to gain real proficiency. Most people with a natural aptitude for mechanical things start working on cars as teenagers.

Reply to
Daniel M. Dreifus