99 Camry headlamp / headlight brighter bulb?

My kids have started driving my 99 Camry and I was looking to see if I should get a brighter headlamp bulb. I can see they are noticeably dimmer than my 03 Accord and Odyssey. They are not dirty. I read about Sylvania Xtra Vision and Cool Blue bulbs and see them in the stores and wonder if I would really get a benefit. Sylvania website seems to indicate yes but would like to hear from owners who have done this. It is a model 9003 bulb rated at 55 Watts and 60 watts on highbeam.

AL

Reply to
Alan

Slyvania Silverstars are I believe Sylvanias brighest. Alot is lamp design, plus interior dirt. A thought is if your voltage is correct. If your lamps are Lexan they can be polished. Dirt from condensation inside can be cleaned by removing lamp pouring in alcohol, denatured, not Vodka { drink that} and swirl it around and pour it out. Cleaning reflectors and lenses helps alot, but it could be lamp design and low voltage as well. I just use 2 sets of Piaa lights to help, one fog set and one spot set. Lights are important, look into cause, and options

Reply to
m Ransley

I have the cool blues and also some Xenons. The Xenons are noticably brighter and only cost a few bucks more.

Reply to
HachiRoku

What brand do you have?

alan

Reply to
Alan

Arrgh! Had to ask! I sold the car that had the bright ones in it! They were either APC Xenons, or the better Sylvanias (not the $24/each!). I believe they are the APC Xenons. Can get them at AutoZone, etc. Two bulbs cost about what one of those Sylvania Super-duper ones cost.

They worked just fine! Also, on the Tercel I had them in, I noticed a metal band around the bulb, inside the headlight. For an experiment, I bent the band out of the way and reinstalled the bulbs. Holy Cow! The low beams were better, and the high beams were fnatastic! Much more dispersal of the light (bigger pattern on High beam), and I *never* got flashed by oncoming traffic. I was going to completely remove the metal rings, but I sold the car first. I see her driving it every day, and it had to go for a reinspection upon being sold, so...

The other thing you can do is get some Pilot Add-ons. I had Pilots on the Tercel before I replaced the bulbs, and also on the rest of my cars! They offer a model at AutoZone for $20, a clear glass lens rectangular style. Since I have older Toyotas, they fit right in like OEM, and are bright enough. On the Tercel I had some $30 H.I.D. 'look' oval ones, and they were great, too. Just don't have the money for PIAAs...

Now, I don't do this, but I have heard of it. The Pilots come with 55W H3 bulbs. They can be replaced with 65W H3, or, what you can try, is leave the 55W on the driver's side, and put a 100W on the passenger's side. Like I said, I don't do this.. ;)

Reply to
Supra Man

OK thanks - this has been very helpful. I will c heck out the options.

alan

Reply to
Alan

NP, Alan! ;)