Left / Right convention?

Took my '99 camry to Pep Boys for a free brake inspection, and they said my Left Front Tie Rod is loose and needs replacing.

Now, when they say Left, do they mean Left as in the driver's left, or Left as in looking at the car's hood from the front (the driver's right)?

Reply to
onehappymadman

Unlikely the tie rod itself would be loose, -- would be the tie rod end, which is replaceable. Harbor Freight sells a satisfactory tie rod end puller for $6.95. Would seem to me, if one tie rod end is worn, the other would also be worn - since you're always turning both wheels at the same time. This is really a simple item to replace, but I would check to see if the rubber boot holding in the grease is intact and get a second opinon. Unless the car has gotten a lot of abuse driving through pot holes or rough roads, seems unlikely the tie rod end would be worn on your '99, but it could be so double check. If it were worn, you should have extra play in the steering wheel and you should be able to see the play in the tie rod end when turning the wheel by hand. That is, you push or pull on the wheel itself and see if the tie rod end has any play in it.

Reply to
Daniel