Lots of exhaust on start 95 Camry 4cyl.

The car is new to me, but used, a 95 Camry 4 cyl.

When I start it up it revs up to about 2000 rpm and make a lot of exhaust that isn't water vapor. It does this not just the first time I start it up, but most of the time. After it does this the rpms go down and then I drive through the cloud of exhaust I just made and go on my way. Suggestions?

Reply to
Nancy Yim

Bad valve stem seals you got. Common. Try some of the high mileage motor oils on the next change, they swell the seals so they dont leak as much. There is probably an additive you can buy to do this with your existing oil also. The repair is not cheap...

Reply to
ROBMURR

I'm taking it in on Tuesday. I had the oil changed today and the PCV valve was all gunked up. Was that related?

Reply to
Nancy Yim

Reply to
badgolferman

Search this group for "startup smoke" (without the quotes).

Reply to
Daniel M. Dreifus