Manually tripping driver's side door latch?

I'm having what seems to be a pretty common problem- my driver's side door is stuck in the locked position. I've done a search and found numerous descriptions of how to get the door open, but I'm hoping for a little clarification:

When trying to manually trip the latch with the long screwdriver, which side of the glass should I be on?

I've managed to peel back the inside panel on the door, so I can reach inside to the latch area, but I can't seem to get around the plastic covers around the assembly. I'm assuming this is why you need to go in from the top with a screwdriver?

Thanks, Matt

Reply to
Matt Boutet

Ummm...should I share this over a public forum?

Toyotas are pretty easy. Actually what I use at the dealer is an old antenna I have bent into a hook with a small crook in it. Esp for Chevy's with the security system. Invariably a customer will call in, or worse,

*call* from somewhere..."Ummm, did you know the doors lock by themselves?" (under my breath) Ummmm, yeah, I *told* you not to leave the keys in it!

So. I take my antenna and head for the car.

As I said, toys are the easiest. Slide the thing down, on the *outside* of the glass, rotate 180 degrees and pull up. Ninety percent of the time you'll hit the rod for the lock (it's on the bottom) the first time; pull up, #click# you're in!

Now to go make sure my security systems are working....

Reply to
HachiRoku