1996 Sliding Door Stuck Shut

I have a 1996 Dodge Grand caravan and the driver's side sliding door is stuck shut it will not open from the outside or inside it doesn't matter if the door is locked or unlocked it still will not budge. I have taken the inside panel off and tried to release it from there with still no luck. Does anyone know of another way to release the latch? Is there a release somewhere on the latch assembly inside the door?

Reply to
jap292

jap292 via CarKB.com

Had the same problem with mine. The problem is related to the gas door on that side. Our door was slammed shut extra extra hard one day and that actually bent the rod that actuates the gas door - it's a safey mechanism that prevents you from opening the sliding door when you are gassing up.

Low tech solution: Remove middle seats from van - you'll need the room. I was kidn of laying on the floor of the van and had someone else push the button on release handle as if I was opening it then as I lay there on the floor of the van I gave the door (the rear portion closest the gas door) a swift kick and it popped right open. Of course I immeditately closed it again and got it promptly stuck again. But, another swift kick got it open. Once it's open look on the rear of the door closest to the gas door and you will see a small rod that goes in to that panel. I think there were two bolts (might have been torx heads) and I took the rod out. Door works great now.

Good Luck!

Martin

jap292 wrote:

Reply to