New tire recommendations

My stock ('99) Yokohama ADVAN A-460 tires (185/60R14 82H) are kaput at

15K miles.

Is a tire life of 15K miles standard for these tires (treadwear rating: 160)? What does a treadwear rating of 160 tranlate to in miles? (16K???)

Does anyone have recommendations for new tires? I do city and highway driving (no autocross). I like the ADVAN A-460s, but have nothing to compare them to. I am on disability, so I don't have an unlimited budget, but I definitely want tires that are at least as good as the ADVAN A-460s. How do the ADVAN A-460s compare to Yokohama AVS ES

100s, and to other brands/models?

Thanks, Elizabeth Moe (aka Stealth) '99/blk/hardtop

Reply to
Elizabeth Friedman
15k miles is about right for a tire with a treadwear rating of 160.

Suggest you go to

and look for all-season tires. The Dunlop SP Sport A2 is probably your best bet at $52/apiece, about $60 shipped. These tires will last at least 30k on a Miata, probably longer

- treadwear rating is 420.

Tirerack will dr> My stock ('99) Yokohama ADVAN A-460 tires (185/60R14 82H) are kaput at > 15K miles. >

Reply to
DJH

From Bridgestone: "The treadwear grade is a comparative rating based on the wear rate of the tire when tested under controlled conditions on a specified government test course. For example, a tire graded 150 would wear one and a half (1 1/2) times as well on the government course as a tire graded 100. The relative performance of tires depends upon the actual conditions of their use, however, and may depart significantly from the norm due to variations in driving habits, service practices and differences in road characteristics."

I have run through four sets of tires so far and have averaged almost exactly 15K per set. There are tires that will last far longer than the ones I have used, but I prefer the extra performance/safety over tire longevity. I could also save rubber (and gas) by going easier on the accelerator, but where's the fun in that?

Have you looked at the tire reviews on miata.net?

I don't know about the ADVAN A-460's, but the AVS ES 100's have received excellent reviews. I just ordered a set of the AVS ES 100's so I am about to see for myself.

Pat '96M

Reply to
pws

Elizabeth said that she wanted something that are "at least as good" as the OEM Yokohama ADVAN A-460s. She did not specify which features are most important to her in the tires; treadwear, dry traction, wet traction, road noise, comfort level, tire weight, etc. The tires that you suggested would be a good choice if treadwear is her primary concern, but they are a poor choice if performance/traction is highly important to her. After putting performance tires (and alignment) on my miata I wouldn't want to go with all-seasons even if they were free. Since good performance 14 and 15 inch miata tires can be found for $50.00 to $60.00 bucks each, even a poor man like myself can afford to replace them every

15K miles.

Pat '96M

Reply to
pws

Treadwear numbers are relative among the same manufacturer. That means that a set of yokohama tires rated at 320 should last twice as long as the set you wore out. A set rated at 80 would have half the life.

----------- Alex

Reply to
Alex Rodriguez

That's good to know. I was concerned that perhaps the tires wore out prematurely due to my driving. The tires wore down very evenly, so I guess I'll take credit for the tire wear instead. ;-)

Pat, you're right that I neglected to mention critical info. The features that are most important to me are handling and traction (both wet and dry). Next are road noise and comfort (gotta take care o' these bones ;-). I'm not sure how tire weight affects things (I can guess both pro and con, so obvioiusly I don't have a clue). Treadwear comes in last, but it *is* a consideration, as I can't burn through a set of tires every 5K or anything...

Ah, so that's it!

Hear, hear!

Yes, but I was wanting additional input, hopefully from someone who had direct experience with the ADVAN A460's and other brands and models.

Even though the ADVAN A460's were developed specifically for the Miata, I think I'll go with the AVS ES100's because of the extremely favorable reviews. I've just done a comparison on tirerack.com, and the AVS ES100's were rated much higher than the ADVAN A460's across the board.

Thanks to all for your input!

Elizabeth Moe (aka Stealth) '99/blk/hardtop/and soon with AVS ES100's

Reply to
Elizabeth Friedman

Elizabeth,

Don't have any more recommendations for you other than what has already been mentioned: check

for user evaluations check miata.net forums for tons of info on tire feedback

I have the '01 OEM Bridgestones Turanzas and they are pretty much gone at 14K. They were 140 rated. So, yes soft tires can disappear in a hurry. Even wear suggests all is well.

Tire weight: lighter tires and wheels results in less unsprung mass (good) and slightly faster accel (less inertia to overcome). Don't worry about it.

Someone mentioned the safety benefits of high performance tires. They are presumably referring to increased traction (good, unless it has poor breakaway characteristics which my OEM tires are reported to have) and shorter braking distances. Whether this applies to wet as well as dry is tire-dependent. And freezing and snow conditions are another issue entirely.

Me, I'll probably go for the Proxes T1-S's next spring, plus a new alignment. Or Falken Azenis as a no-compromise streetable autoX tire. I think you can find a lot cheaper to suit your needs.

Good luck!

Reply to
Dave

While I have no clue about ADVAN A460s, I must agree that the AVS ES100 are very good performance tires in all aspects. I got them in summer because I could not get Toyo T1-S tires the same day (I had an important deadline). They are excellent dry, excellent wet, and excellent at autocross. I have not tried them on a track, but I would not be surprised.

In short, go for it.

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

That was one of my guesses! (But of course, making guesses that are on both sides of the fence pretty much assures that one will be right. :-)

Thanks for this info, Dave.

Leon, it's great to hear another pro vote; thanks! AVS ES100's it will be.

Thanks again, Elizabeth Moe (aka Stealth) '99/blk/hardtop/and soon with AVS ES100's

Reply to
Elizabeth Friedman

Reply to
jimuntch

I use Yokohama AVID H4s. I do a lot of road trips with occasional excursions into the twisted ways but no autocrossing, so I need good road wear and relatively good grip.

As I live near Montreal with our extreme weather here, I also need good grip in light snow and occasional ice. For the real winter driving I change to snow tires, but in the iffy period between winter and summer, some grip is nice.

Many people recommend Toyo T1-S and they're great for stickiness in the twisties, but they wear out faster. So it's a matter of personal choice and driving style.

Good luck!

Reply to
Nora