Michelin Hydroedge tires for Maxima?

Hi,

I was considering a set of new tires for my Maxima. I came across the Michelin HydroEdge tires at Costco. However this is T rated tires (which is 2 leveld below the recommended tires). Recommended tires for the 01 Maxima with Performance package is H rated. I have read reviews about this tires that it has good traction. I don't really care about the performance aspect as my wife is the primary driver on this car and she is a very conservative driver.

Other than taking a perforance hit, is there any other issues if I put the T rated tires on tha Maxima?

Scott.

Reply to
No Spam

The walls in a lower speed rated tire are going to be weaker and in my experience, the car will drive diffrently, feeling as if the tires were underinflated.

In one case, a minivan, the wheels would touch the pavement on curves. In another case, a Lexus LS400, the car would just be hard to control when turning at normal speeds.

Good luck

No Spam wrote:

Reply to
AS

If you put T rated tires on your Maxima, don't plan on going faster than 118 mph for a considerable length of time. The tire will blow out due to overheating. H rated tires can go 130 mph (your Maxima's governed top speed) all day without any heat issues. Also, as menitoned in another post, the higher speed rated a tire is, the stiffer the sidewalls are. The suspension was tuned for H rated tires, so a T rated tire may have a softer sidewall, therefore a cushier ride, but it won't be drastically different.

That's really the main issue. Other than that, you're OK.

Here's a list of the speed ratings;

CD

Reply to
codifus

Are they by law even allowed to sell you tires that don't meet the recommended speed rating for your vehicle? I would recommend sticking with what's recommended for your car.

Nirav

Reply to
njmodi

I was just about to post the same question, I believe it is illegal for them to sell you tires at a rating lower than you have.

Reply to
common_ sense

As far as I know it is not illegal for them to sell or for you to buy tires with a lower speed rating.

Most tire places work order forms that I have seen, have a space for the customer to sign, acknowledg> No Spam wrote:

Reply to
AS