Need Advice - Installing Pushbutton Ignition '98 Toyota Camry V4

Recently I began making minor modifications to my interior to learn more about the breakdown and wiring of my 1998 Toyota Camry V4. My latest idea is to create a push button ignition that requires the key to be in the ON position (for security). Upon inspecting my Haynes repair manual I discovered the following:

  1. The ON switch position contains two continuity circuits: (2-3-4) and (6-7)
  2. The START switch position contains two continuity circuits: (1-2-4) and (6-7-8)

which led me to the following conclusions, of which I am not at all certain:

  1. Installing a pushbutton that activated the START circuits while having the key in the ON position would activate (1-2-3-4) and (6-7-8) which could overload my car
  2. A pushbutton should therefore OPEN the 3 wire from the ON switch while simultaneously CLOSING the 2 and 8 wire

I think this can be accomplished by using Normally Open and Normally Closed control blocks in conjunction with a momentary action button. However, I have never worked with electronics before and am hesitant to proceed without any advice. I know there is a packaged push button system available from JCWhitney, but that would defeat the point of trying to learn how all of this works. If anyone has ever attempted anything like this I would appreciate any tips you have to offer.

Alex

Reply to
Alex Powell

A V4 Camry would be a unique creature: I have a couple of Ford V4 engines from vintage saabs and forklifts!

You have either an L4 (transversely mounted inline four-cylinder) or a V6. Unless this is a truly custom car!

You're on the right track, and you can observe this behaviour when start the car with lights or accessories on, or just by watching the electric gauges on the dash. Note how power to the accessories and other electricals is cut when you move the key to start.

The real question might be "why" but, hey, it is your car. You will be opening yourself up to a slight increase in potential theft, as well as the hazard from the occasional bored passenger who likes to push obvious buttons on the dash of the car, potentially grinding a few starter or flywheel teeth. To avoid this, you may want to wire a relay to either the ignition sensor or fuel pump relay circuits, preventing current from flowing to the switch if the car is running.

good luck! GTr

- -

gregory trimper

Haha. My mind was thinking one thing and typing another. No engine block mods yet.

having

could

while

That is exactly what I observed and why I posted the question. Thought maybe somebody had actually worked with multi-circuit switches before and could offer some advice.

That may be a future project. For now, I'm just going to get a plastic guard that you have to pull up before engaging the button. That should prevent accidental triggering.

Thanks for setting me straight before I overloaded everything!

Alex

Reply to
Alex Powell