Stupid key.. question..

I own a '99 Golf A4 GLS with a 2.0. I bought it used a couple of years ago and it only came with one key (I realized much later that I should have made sure there were two keys, but it's too late for that now). A couple months ago, my key accidentally went through the wash. I ruined the remote lock portion, but the key still worked in the driver's side door (only key hole on the car, besides the hatch). The problem now though, is that the key only works once in a while. It will unlock the door, but won't turn off the alarm. Not constantly anyway. Sometimes it will work on the first try, other times I have to lock/unlock 20+ times before it'll finally work. I know I need to get a new key cut/coded, but it's too pricey at the moment (I have to take the plunge this weekend and get it done though).

My question is, does my problem sound like it might be more than just the key? Will getting a new key cut and new remotes coded possibly work? I know that there's no way to say for certain, but is it a possibility? Any suggestions? Any places to get a key for cheaper? The local dealership wants $200 for the key/remote.

Anyway, thanks for any and all suggestions/comments.

Mark Currie

Reply to
Mark Currie

Not a stupid question. The following link has it for $49 for my 02 Passat. I have seen it foe $39 but I am too lazy to drill down more with Google now.

Steve G.

Thanks man. It appears that they've got mine for $89 for the remote and $44 for the key. I didn't realize that there's a transponder in key part. That must be what's going on with the key portion of mine. I'm going to check to see if mine can be recoded or I need to buy a new one.

Thanks again,

Mark Currie

Reply to
Mark Currie