Noise when A/C is on

My car is 1995 Camry LE, 106k miles. After I turned on A/C there is a harsh noise like screaming. Then it will be gone after a while. I don't know if any loose belt could cause this problem.

Also good workshop(chainstore) recommendation is welcome. I went to Midas to fix my brake problem, but not sure if Midas is good at that A/C noise problem. Normally, how much cost to get rid of that noise?

Thanks!

Reply to
Jiyang Hu

You went to Midas, and you have not declared bankruptcy. Just curious, how much did they charge you for the brake "problem."

Reply to
Mark A

Does the AC blow cold air after the screaming noise has stopped? If it does, it's a fair bet the drive belt is slipping. To get it adjusted, providing it is not damaged, should cost a few dollars only ( circa $10).

Refrain from using the AC until the belt is tensioned properly.

While modern drive-belts are an improvement over previous single 'V' belts, they still need to be checked periodically for condition and tension.

Its worth asking around to find a mechanic/workshop which charges reasonable prices and values its clientel.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James