Noisy Camry Steering Wheel

The steering wheel in my mother's 1999 Camry has made an annoying noise for years. The dealer was no help. She just put up with the noise. I tracked down the noise to where the steering shaft goes through the floor. The shaft and the rubber grommet was the problem because there is no lubrication. I used a Q-Tip to apply di-electric silicone grease to the rubber and shaft. No more NOISE, In my opinion, Toyota could have prevented this problem by using a Teflon bushing.

Reply to
Clay

Hi,

My 1999 Camry has a similar problem, and I'll act upon your advice to fix it.

Thanks a lot.

Mort Linder

P.S. In an historic and prescient remark at an auto show just a few years ago, a Toyota rep told an inquiring attendee that, "Toyota can no longer afford to be perfect.".

Reply to
Mort

I had the same problem until I started using spray silicone on that area...every year or two.

Reply to
Sharx35