Oil Change at Dealership or Speed Lube

Is there a good enough reason why I should take my Camry into the Dealership for the regular oil changes. It usually cost $22 for just the oil change.

Or is it ok to take it to the local quick lube shop, where is costs $22 also, but they check and top off all fluid levels, check tires, clean windows and sweep the interior.

What are the good reason to take it to the Dealership for less service? Oil filters better?

I have been taking my Camry to the Dealership, but it would be more convenient and easier to take it to the quick lube shop.

Thanks,

Randy

Reply to
Randy

You would often be better off taking it to a good oil change place rather than the dealer. Dealers often use the wrong viscosity (because they don't want to stock the full range of viscosities for both new and older cars). You car should use 5W-30.

However, you should buy a Toyota filter (or other high quality brand that costs $5.00 - $10.00 at a discount store) and take it with you to the oil change place. Most will take $1.00 off if you supply the filter (their crappy filters only cost them about $1.50).

Also, take care in selecting an oil change place. Jiffy Lube is out of the question. Look for a small or regional chain that has individually owned (instead of corporate owned) locations. In my area, Grease Monkey is a good chain. Look for places that do not employ high school kids.

If you really want convenience, instead of changing every 3000 miles with conventional oil, switch to 5W-30 Mobil 1 synthetic and change every 5000 -

6000 miles. You will not regret it.
Reply to
Mark A

So that means you will be bringing your own oil filter and your own oil -- which is fine.

Before long, you find it's almost as easy to change your own oil. You need an oil drain pan, some rags, a socket to fit the drain plug, a ratchet handle, and the special wrench the Dealer sells to fit over the top of the oil filter -- none of these items are expensive. If you can, try letting it drain overnight to remove even more of the old oil.

What I used to do, when going to the "Speedy Lube" was also bring my own oil drain plug gasket, and insist they install a new one each time. Also, IMHO, watch them service the car. Check that they're doing it correctly. If they recommend a new air filter, go to the dealer to buy the factory air filter and replace it yourself to get the better quality.

You probably want the convenience of having someone else do this, but for me, I don't like to let anyone else touch the car - especially if you plan to keep it for a long time. Once asked the "Speedy Lube" type person to check the water in the battery. For one, I never really know whether they're actually using distilled water as required, but the fun part this time was that he proceeded to fill the battery up to the tippy top -- so it was guaranteed to overflow and spill battery acid during operation. I forget how many cells he filled this way before I was able to stop him. (if you didn't know, the level should be up to a "split ring" inside the cell, observable as the surface tension of the water changes). When I had the clutch replaced in my Toyota pick up truck, it took the shop owner 20 -30 minutes, with a grinder and an oxy acetylene torch to remove the transmission fill plug that had been regularly checked by "Speedy Lube" -- they had over tightened it that much. With the Camry, 15,000 miles or more later, I finally discovered that what appeared to be a "rubber plug" in the side of the air filter housing, where I thought the intake air temperature sensor should go, was actually an open hole -- allowing unfiltered outside air directly into the engine. During prior servicing, someone had neglected to replace it, and the missing sensor was hidden from view at the end of a frame rail, under the brake booster near the firewall. Perhaps, these are all reasons to take the car to the dealer. They ought to be able to change the oil properly for you, and they should be using factory approved parts, methods and fluids, since at least they're working only on Toyotas all day long, plus can get factory parts readily. I have had a Toyota dealer strip the threads on a distributor hold down bolt and then deny it, and once, long ago, had an authorized VW dealer neglect to drain the transaxle fluid correctly, so you'll have to make the final decision. I feel it is always a good idea to check the oil level the next morning, and have a general look under the hood just to see everything looks right. Changing the oil regularly is the single most important thing you can do to extend engine life, so you've got the right idea.

Reply to
Daniel M. Dreifus

I just ordered a liquid oil extractor from griotsgarage.com. It is how Mercedes (they use a Topsider) is changing the oil. You put a tube down the dipstick tube and vaccuum the oil out into a recycleable container.

Oil filter is still a pain, however.

-

-- Curtis Newton snipped-for-privacy@remove-me.akaMail.com

ICQ: 4899169

Reply to
Curtis Newton

you have got to be kidding me, oil changes are the single most easiest maintainance you can perform on your vehicle.( first being gassing her up!) C'mon guys, I've got a Dodge Ram and a Camry and can do both in about a 1/2 hour or so. Learn to do your own! it's that simple, trust no one!!!!!! A friend of a friend worked at an "oil change" place. He knows nothing about cars, they didn't care!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply to
DrRamhammer

Easy yes - but very messy. I thought check air in tires was 2nd easiest (but not often done!) Manf seem to hide the oil filter where you can't see it, put it next to a hot manifold, and then turn filter upside down so it dumps oil all over. Have a Yota 4x4 and have to remove the skid pan and then it still dumps oil all over the transfer case! Then you have to properly recycle the used oil! I do my own cuz I don't trust others - plus don't want to schedule appt or waitr 2 hours.

Reply to
Wolfgang

Do it yourself if you can. Nobody cares for your car as much as you do. You can use disposable gloves if you don't like the dirty oil. I use an engine cleaner in with the oil for 1/2 an hour with the engine idling to really clean it out. Let it drain as long as you can, overnight is good but not necessary

Reply to
John

I stopped taking my vehicles to the "Speed Lube" and started changing my own oil when a guy I work with told me about a couple of screwups he had while working part-time for the local Speed Lube. One day he drained the oil from a vehicle and then put oil in the vehicle's windshield washer reservoir. Luckily the owner noticed his oil light right away, and all they had to do was replace his reservoir. The Speed Lube joints don't care whether you have any experience or knowledge.

Josh

Reply to
Joshua Smeltser