Oil leaking, but don't know from where??!

I have a 97 Camry 4 cyl LE with 71,000 miles. I had a large puddle (maybe 8 inches by 16 inches?) of clear oil under the left side, slightly inside and behind the left front tire. It was definitely oil, not water. Since it was clear, I thought brake fluid - but I inspected the master cylinder and all around it and found it dry.

The fluid was actually dripping onto the top of the frame or suspension member going to the wheel, then running down and off the bottom of it. The only wet thing I could find was the boot on the hydraulic steering ram. I know that's right below the lines coming out of where the ram connects to the power steering pump, but none of the lines were dripping oil.

I did have a whining power steering system a few days ago. The reservoir was quitelow and I added fluid up to the cold full mark. Two days later, it's dropped about 1/4 inch.

My car was involved in an accident a while back (6 months or so), in which a backing-up semi caught it at the left front wheel and slowly pushed it sideways about 25 feet. The dealer fixed everything that could be seen at that time. Now I'm wondering if the impact could have set up a seal failure on the left side of this steering ram, and I'm leaking inside the boot, and it's seeping out through cracks in the rubber fro pressure and movement. Does that sound plausible?

Are there any other things I should look at before I go buy one of these?

Ed

(PS - would anyone venture to guess as whether I would stand a chance getting the insurance company to add this to the repairs as related damage?)

Reply to
Ed

Just an uneducated guess, but if you've had the car almost 10 years and 77k miles without such trouble, and then had a fairly severe collision, it certainly sounds related (and it's not as if the spare tire in the trunk lost air, since it's close to the point of collision). I'd ask my own insurance company how to proceed with the trucker's company to get satisfaction in this matter. (or they may go to bat for you.)

The sudden drop in power steering fluid and the drop after replenishing it sounds like you've found the leak.

Reply to
mack

If your car sat for awhile after the accident it would give the seals a chance to dry out. Try using some of the power steering fluid that says it stops leaks. It has a seal conditioner in it...worked for me.

Reply to
Butzmark

I would contact the Body shop that repaired the car originally About the leak. The possibility of getting a revised repair estamite ?? MOST insurance Co guarantee the repairs to your car. If the body shop won't help call the truckers insurance to file a revised claim based on your belief that the problem is due to damages from the accident

Reply to
sqdancerLynn