One Superb Vehicle

With all the postings of problems, just a note to say it is entirely possible to perform all maintenance procedures, enhance fluids with synthetics and use only genuine Toyota parts and wind up with a vehicle that is extraordinarily smooth running, reliable, and a joy to operate for decades. The Internet has been quite an extraordinary resource as I began not even knowing how to change the air filter yet wound up learning how to replace the timing belt, oil pan gasket, control arms, ball joints, etc. - all information provided free of charge often from mechanics with long years of experience passing along tips that simplified procedures tremendously. I continue to be amazed at the quality of construction, durability, economy and driving enjoyment of this vehicle. Now my personal perspective is that one maximizes the likelihood of long term trouble free performance by learning to be one's own mechanic and taking the time and care with each procedure that the owner can bestow on their own vehicle.

Reply to
Daniel

You always hear the worst on these forums. If you looked at the pet parrot group I read, you'd swear a bird was dropping dead every 20 minutes.

My 1997 Camry is my first Toyota, and also my first Japanese car. This, after a long string of (in sequence) Pontiac, Oldsmobile, Volkswagen, Fiat, Peugeot, Audi, Volkswagen, Fiat, MG, Mercury, Mercury... and a few I prefer not to think about - like the 1968 Triumph that lasted two weeks.

Bought it as a two-year-old, and in over 120,000 miles the only non-scheduled work was a starter solenoid. If the engine hadn't exploded a couple of weeks ago, I'd likely keep it forever. But you know, I'm looking at more Camrys nonetheless.

Reply to
Scott Schuckert

The engine exploded?

- Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

If you take care of your car it will last for many miles. neglecting to change the oil etc can cut it's life span in half, Overheating it is a real engine killer

Reply to
sqdancerLynn