1990 SE Front Passenger Door Won't Open

Hi,

My front passenger door will not open. The power lock is obviously malfunctioning, when I unlock the doors with the inside button, or with the key in the driver's side door, the front passenger door lock 'vibrates' for a second or two, then stops halfway between locked and unlocked position. Manually lifting the door lock does not open the door. Using the key does not work either. However, the power window for that door DOES work, confusingly enough.. I called a Nissan dealership and they said it would cost me almost $200 just to get the door open, and that parts inside the door would probably break due to the age of the car. That quote does not include any repairs or parts, just opening the door. If anyone has ANY suggestions, I'd really appreciate it.

Reply to
Heather

On the surface, this sounds like there may be a mechanical linkage problem at or near the lock itself. Sounds like you have electrical power to the lock actuators. Maybe one of the links has loosened or worn to the point where it gets stuck in a middle position. Or maybe the a link has disconnected and just provides movement in one direction only. Was there any recent repair work done inside that door? Might someone have not re-assembled properly? In you are a DIYer, it might be possible to remove the inner door panel and take a look around. There is site with precise directions for window repair (and panel/trim removal); reply and I will post the site address. You would have to slide the passenger seat all the way back and lower the seatback flat. There *should* be enough clearance to mess with the inner panel clips etc., although I never did that with the door closed when I replaced the window regulators on my '89. If you do go into the door, be sure the window is closed (up). You will need a flashlight and some little mirrors to see up into the corner where the lock is. Some of the linkage is easier to see however. Good luck. Bob

95 SE Auto 89 SE Auto traded

"Heather" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com...

window

parts,

Reply to
BeeP

Thanks for the advice. I did have new speakers put in the car, but that was months ago. So it is possible to remove the door panel while the door is shut? What is that link, I didn't see it in your reply... Thanks again. Oh, one more thing, and this is just something I observed recently.. In a frustrated attempt to get the stupid door open with the key, I noticed that when I lifted the handle, the interior light didn't come on, and the little light around the keyhole didn't either.. Is that stuff supposed to happen for both front doors or just the driver's door? Just curious.

Reply to
Heather

The site address is:

resource for 3rd Gen Max fixes and upgrades. See the item onwindow regulator replacement. This description has all the info youneed to remove the door panels. You can look at all the steps and getan idea of what the inside of the door looks like. The photo with step17 shows the lock linkages in the upper right of the pic. (your doorwould be the reverse image, passenger side). As I said, it looks likeyou *might* be able to pull the panel with door closed, but it won'tbe easy because of the many little plastic plugs around the bottom ofthe door trim. If you do manage to get in there, check all wires forcuts, binding on metal, etc. The speaker installer may have movedsome stuff around, and it took a few months for a problem to show up.BTW, when you remove the panel, you have to unplug the switches, butyou can plug them in later for troubleshooting. You can flick theswitches and see what is moving and what isn't. Have fun. As for theinterior light, my recollection is that feature was for the driverside only. Good luck. Bob

95 SE Auto 89 SE Auto traded

reply...

keyhole

doors

Reply to
BeeP

I think you are running down rabbit trails looking for what-ifs.

More than likely the latch is simply broken. It's the latch you can see in the door when you open it, held in with 3 screws from the outside.

Possibly a linkage is bent. Those are actuator rods that connect the

2 door handles and the lock to the latch.

Possibly the electric door lock actuator is jammed, and does not allow free movement of the latch assembly. I've never seen this happen & it seems quite unlikely to me.

The fact is, the internal door assembly is a royal bitch to work on (or see) even with the door open. If a DYI'er manages to even get the door panel off without opening the door, he/she will be quite contorted trying to jimmy with the mechanism. Do yourself a favor and just pull the seat all the way out.

If the latch won't release at that point after poking and prodding, then the worst case scenario is actual surgery. Yes, they will cut the car apart to get it open, and do body repair to rebuild it later. Me, I'd sell it as is before I did that. Or train my passengers to sit in back.

JM

Reply to
JM

Have to doubt the surgery bit. Once you see and manipulate the linkages, you can open the latch. Been there. Bob

reply...

later.

Reply to
BeeP