Power Steering Leak 1996 V6

My 97 Camry V6 92k also has a leak from that region. I haven't been able to trace it down either. It just appears wet but my garage floor has never seen a drip from it.

Reply to
Dave

Has anyone had problems with the power steering pump leaking. Mine seems to be leaking but I can't pinpoint where it is leaking from.

Are these fairly easy to rebuild?

Could something else like the hose be leaking?

From what I sould see there is oil near the top of the pump somewhere. Could it be leaking at the gasket wher it comes apart?

Any help is appreciated. 1996 CAmry V6 160,000 miles.

Rob

Reply to
Rob Dean

Thats how it starts, then it gets worse.

Now I get a puddle, about 2" everytime I park

ROB

Reply to
Rob Dean

First, be sure it's not just motor oil leaking down from the rear valve cover, on to the pump and on the floor, like mine is doing. Compare the fluid on the floor with oil off the dipstick, on a kleenex or something.

Jim (94 V6)

Reply to
Jim

Its hard to tell. The oil is more to the brown color than the red color but my oil level in the PS reservoir keeps dropping. It may be a combination of both however since when i look carefully, the valve cover is leaking some.

Could the pressure hose be leaking?

Can the valve cover leak be fixed by changing the valve cover gasket? Is this a big job?

Thanks,

Rob

cover, on to the pump

Reply to
Rob Dean

my experien with my 93 v6 le wagon.

the fluid kept coming down. initially pretty slow, got worse quickly.

the shop i went to said, the pump needed replacement, which i did.

the next day still the same, brought back to the shop.

this time, he said the hi-pressure hose is leaking, must be from there. so replaced that too!

next day, still leaking the same amount. shop man was truly apologetic (or was he?)

now he said the rack and pinion needed replacement too! no feeling of guilt whatsoever!?!

maybe he should have checked more carefully from the start.

total bill came to almost $1000.00. he was so proud of his work that the leak was gone.

is it worth fixing or just sell? at 175,000 miles, the car was probably worth around $3000. oh well, it's already done!

good luck to you!

angky d. lee

Reply to
<hotelart