2002 XLE Weird noise

For owners of Camry XLE 4 cyl. When stop or slow down and turn I get a strange noise from the engine. At first I thought it as stuff collecting in the vents. Kind of sounds like wet marbles rolling around. I cleaned all the vents and still have the noise.

After some playing around I am sure that it is related to the engine RPM either rising from or falling to idle. Could it be the variable valve timing mechanism.

Any help would be appreciated.

John

Reply to
jf

Do you get a clunking noise when you put it in Drive from Park? Sounds a little like the CV joints. Check the CV boots for tears.

Reply to
Mercury

Open the hood with the engine idling. Locate the accelerator/throttle cable pulley on the intake plenum chamber and slowly increase the revs to 2500 rpm, then let the throttle go so the engine drops back to idle. If you hear the noise you speak of, you may find it is a loose heat-shield around the exhaust or some other piece of sheet-metal work on the engine.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

The 2002 XLE has no accelerator/throttle cable, it has a computer = controlled throttle.

Jack.

Reply to
Jack

Jack.

Is that the case? I'm not sure I like that idea!

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

It's a drive-by-wire deal. This is how the computer operates Vehicle Skid Control (VSC), if installed, by revving the engine and applying the brakes as appropriate.

--Ibrahim

Reply to
Ibrahim