power steering pump

I have a 2000 camry le v6 with 66,000 miles. I had a slow tire leak repaired at a tire store. When the car was on the lift the manager called me over to show me what he thought was a leak coming from the power steering pump. He quoted $560 to install a new one. After the tire was repaired and the car was lowered I asked the manager to check the power steering level. It was full. I do not notice any power steering problems. This happened about a week ago and the power steering level has not changed. Any comments?

Thans in advance.

Reply to
Waterclear

Hi There,

I have a 1959 2.2/4cyl 92000miles since new.

I had a small drip of oily stuff on my drive. It looked like it was from the Steering pump area. But its a super tight area to inspect from the top.

I took it into a local garage who are pretty good really. And was told it was the pump.

Toyota wanted an enormous amount for it.

I put a dry sheet of metal under the car to catch a drip or two.

Then compared the drips with the various oils /fluids in the car.

It WAS NOT steering fluid. It was engine oil.

I cleaned down the back of the engine block in the area of the Steering pump. Gunk and water hose. The leak was from a weep on the rocker box cover. It was leaking on to a metal pipe then across to the area above the pump. Quite hidden When this was tightened up a bit it stopped the leak.

So have a bit play. Try a clean sheet of some thing under the car that wont absorb what drips on to it.

That was 20K miles ago Lol.

Johnny UK

Reply to
JM

oldest trick in the book to get into your wallet. with the miles you have on your car you are bound to have a few drips. keep an eye on your fluid levels and your wallet.

Reply to
BigJim

OOOPS THAT WAS SUPPOSED TO READ 1995 LOL

Reply to
JM

Some crooked mechanics will also squirt a little oil (or even whatever fluid is appropriate) from an oil can onto whatever area they want to be "leaking." I had a guy from a nationally known muffler-brake chain cut a brake hose with a razor, back in the '70's, and then show me that it needed a new hose. Perfect razor cut. And people wonder why cars get neglected - the dealers charge both arms and a leg and aren't always honest, and the independents charge less, but are somewhat more likely to be dishonest...

Reply to
mjc1

agreed. On the interstate route to Florida, 25 years ago and more, there used to be a scam in which a service station attendant (when they pumped your gas for you) would call your attention to the fact that one of your front shocks seemed to be dripping oil...and of course they could replace it for XX dollars. In actuality, they were taking a small oil gun with a trigger to squirt dirty motor oil on your perfectly good shock absorber a moment before showing you the "trouble". Next time a "helpful" mechanic shows you something wrong, especially an oil leak, tell him" thanks and I'll continue to monitor it and be back to have you repair it if it needs repair". ....and drive away from that shop........fast. Unless the mechanic and his reputation are well known to you, don't believe off the cuff estimates of troubles under the hood. My Dad crosssed the country about 57 years ago, and always bought gas at Standard (Chevron) stations. At every single one, they told him he needed a new radiator cap (on a two year old Dodge.) That month they were pushing radiator caps.

Reply to
mack

When I was involved with towing a caravan (RV) from UK to Europe for holidays in the 70/80s a well know "trick" on the autoroutes was for the pump attendant to check your oil as he pumped gas. Then draw your attention to small like iron filings on the dip stick. They could of course do you a quick oil change. I wonder how many fell for that.

At one petrol station I pulled into on the main French Autoroute south for fuel. My wife noticed as the guy got my filler cap off in double quick time and was pumping gas as i got to him .That the petrol pump had been at 15 litres not zero as he started pumping.

I pointed this out, of course he denied it. I told him to FILL the tank completely. It usually took 50 lts to fill it . The pump read circa 65 litres when the tank was filled which it could not hold. I pointed out I was driving a FRENCH Renault R16. And for him to check my handbook on fuel capacity or I would call the police and not move from the pump. If he had just added 1 or 2 ltrs he would have got away with it. But he was to greedy OOOPS Sir my mistake. I told him I was not prepared to PAY AT ALL. I drove off with a full tank. WELL PLEASED. Robbing B*****Ds

Johnny UK.

Reply to
JM

Good for you!

Naturally, the oldest scam in the automotive book is for the attendant to not replace the dipstick all the way, so it will show 1 qt. low, and sell you another quart to overfill the crankcase.

Reply to
mack

Some years ago ( circa 1966 ) when the AUSTIN 1800 hit the market in the UK. there were some problems with engines seizing up.

Although dip stick oil levels were correct. Some idiot had fitted the WRONG DIP STICKs to the line.. They were longer that should have been so oil levels while looked correct . Were really very low. A right DIPSTICK himself. ( thats a UK term for an IDIOT )

Johnny UK.

Reply to
JM

I had an Austin back in the 70s - what a fun car. It had a 1300cc engine and was called an Austin America. I thought that someday, all cars would be built with this type of drivetrain packaging. I was right. :-)

david

Reply to
dsi1