Protect my car

I live in a nice college town with nice neighbors in a nice neighborhood close to the university and nice apartment building with nice covered parking.

But some damn druggie broke into one of the cars last night that was parked in the building's covered parking lot. I never parked my Tercel in that lot for that very reason--the lot is located under the building; it's the building that covers it.

I always used to park the Tercel out in the street where it was plainly visible to other houses. However, now that I'm about to buy a brand new Camry, I would like to park it in a covered area, but there's no way I'm parking it in the lot downstairs. The druggies steal car batteries at times and other times stereos. Yeah, your car battery!! Can't we legalize drugs so they can get their meds for a few pennies down at the clinic??

Anyhow, I'll probably pay $600 a year to park my car in one of the city's municipal covered parking lots--to shelter the car from rain, snow, and sun.

Are municipal parking lots generally safe? As I've said before, I drive my car very infrequently, maybe only every 4 to 7 days on average. The parking permit administrator I spoke with over the phone said that the only crime they've had in the lots is related to domestic disputes. Like a pizza thrown onto the windshield of an estranged boyfriend or girlfriend's car--basically stuff related only to domestic disputes.

Do you think my Camry will be safe in one of the muni lots if I leave it parked in the same spot for

4 to 7 days at a time?

Thanks a lot for any helpful suggestions.

Reply to
Built_Well

sounds like a nice college town with nice neighbors. Legalizing should make it so much nicer!

Reply to
camry-keeper

if the parking garage is gated then it should be safe. Does anyone patrol the garage? Unfortunately, there are a few individuals in this world with total disregard for other peoples property. You can only do so many things to protect your stuff. You should have a high quality alarm installed in your vehicles and window stickers to alert potential thiefs that your car is protected and will draw attention to itself if disturbed. Believe it or not, an alarm is a great theft deterent.

As you say, you live in a nice neighborhood so hopefully your vehicle will be safe when left for short periods of time.

Good Luck

Reply to
justinm930

Next time I hear loud, strange noises at night, I'm calling the police straight away, and nail that damn druggie.

How's that for dehumanizing him: Calling him a "damn druggie."

What do those druggies do with car batteries, anyhow? Pawn them? I can't see anybody paying much for a used battery.

Reply to
Built_Well

probably

Reply to
end_is_near1

I don't know where these car-attacking druggies are coming from. I live in a nice neighborhood; I know of at least

3 MU professors and a travel agency owner who live within a block from me. This is a popular neighborhood for professors.

If anyone's familiar with Columbia, Missouri, my street intersects University Avenue. Could these druggies be students? I just don't know.

All I know is that these car break-ins last happened about 4 years ago in the covered parking lot of my

100-unit apartment complex. And now they're starting again.

The loser 4 years ago musta struck the covered lot on

5 or so different occasions. I don't know if he got caught, moved, or simply stopped. But I'm not going to allow this NEW loser to strike so many times. The very next time, I hear anything even the slightest bit out of the ordinary, I'm calling the police straight away and nail that druggie.

I suggested to the building's owner 4 years ago that he install cameras in the lot. But he hasn't. But who knows, cameras may not stop those hopped up druggers any who.

If anyone has any suggestions on capturing car thieves, they'd be most welcome.

Reply to
Built_Well