Quieting Plastic Rattles in Cars - What to use?

I wanted to find out if there is some type of spray that can be used on plastic parts to make them more quiet? I am looking for something that will not stain or discolour the plastic, but give it a clear coating so that any annoying rattles can be removed.

Someone was saying Silicone Lubricant but that leaves a shiny mess. Is there such a thing as dry silicone lubricant and if so, who makes it and where (in Canada) can I get it?

Reply to
Car Guy

A guy who used to install stereo's for Circuit City told me that he used glue guns on Avalons. (Wonder what happens if you need to take it apart again.)

Reply to
Art Begun

What's that same fella doing now? Pedaling cellphones in the Mall?

Reply to
Philip®

Yes, we call it silicone spray. Its available from the dealer, OE Toyota or any parts house carries it too.

Reply to
MDT Tech®

There's also several brands of flexible rubber cement type epoxy.

Reply to
Joseph Oberlander

I sure as heck needed something like that for my Dodge Caravan, but so far the Sienna is quiet as a mouse and I think part of the reason it will stay that way is because the Sienna is so well isolated from the road that unlike the Caravan it will not shake and vibrate itself apart. I had several mount points in the Caravan which had broken thru and caused the plastic panels to rattle and buzz.

Dale

Reply to
<dale

"Flexible rubber epoxy" is not appropriate for this application.

Reply to
Philip®

"Car Guy" spake unto the masses in news:IpQCb.21664$ snipped-for-privacy@news20.bellglobal.com:

Yes there is such a thing. Any industrial supply house sells it. Look in the yellow pages under "Industrial Equipment and Supply". Ask for exactly that: Dry silicone spray.

We use it extensively in our industry (paper) because it lubricates but does not attract dust, which a wet lube would.

Reply to
Tegger®

If you can remove the panels, it might be worthwile to use a little art putty at the contact points to cut down on the relative movement between the panels.

Ed

Car Guy wrote:

Reply to
C. E. White

Crappy Tire (if you live in Canada, you know what I mean) has a dry silicone spray available

Father Guido ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯ I plan on living forever... so far, so good

Reply to
Father Guido

For a while he was selling new cars.

Reply to
Art Begun

What year Caravan? I had a 4 hour trip in a friends a few years ago and it was incredibly quiet and comfortable.

mess. Is

Reply to
Art Begun

And now? Are you following this young man's career for a reason? A relative? LOL

Reply to
Philip®

It was a 1994 Grand Caravan purchased new in Jan of that year. I found several mounting points broken out and I fixed them with a large flat washers and a longer sheet metal screws. It looked like either the screws had been overtorqed, poor material, or bad design or a combination. Anyway it had lots of plastic panel rattles and a stiff ride.

The Sienna is so much better for a smooth comfortable relaxed ride.

Dale

Reply to
<dale

Can't you figure it out Philip? I was shopping for a car and we BS'ed a bit.

shiny

Reply to
Art Begun

I wonder if the dealer had done something to the car before delivery. I had a 300M and when the power windows failed (a common problem in the early 99's until Chrysler dumped the Chinese motor supplier) the dealer overtorqued the screws on the door panel and I found damaged holes at the very bottom of the 4 door panels. I made them replace all of the door panels under warranty.

stiff

Reply to
Art Begun

Nope, the broken spots occured over several years. I'd find a loose panel and when I went to snug down the screw I found the broken out mount point. After a couple of these I made it a point to check for broken plastic first. Nothing under warranty. It's all history, I sold the Dodge. It sure was a rattletrap.

Dale

Reply to
<dale

"Art Begun" spake unto the masses in news:zO8Db.3351$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread1.news.atl.earthlink.net:

Took 4 hours for the tow truck to show up, huh?

Hahahaha! Coudn't resist!

Reply to
Tegger®

Sounds more like an interview for a babysitter. LOL

Reply to
Philip®

I don't think I've ever seen a Chrylser minivan on the side of the road. Considering how many they have sold it is pretty remarkable. Probably mostly see Taurus's. Of course break downs as a whole are pretty rare these days.

in

Reply to
Art Begun