Front End Plastic Parts

Unless your time isn't worth anything to you, for $230 I wouldn't waste my time on B or C...

Make sure you get fasteners!

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

As I reported,a coon attacked my Ion,long story short,Saturn recommends 3 parts to replace broken/cracked up parts,one of these parts goes completly around the wheel well,what a waste!,the parts guy zipped me a copy of a exploded view of the Ion front end which wqas very helpful,all 3 parts come out to $230.00.should I A) get the new parts & move on,B) go to a junk yard & try there,or C) do a ''duct tape job '' until im in the mood to really fix it?.

Reply to
teem

How could anyone else possibly answer that question for you?

$230 _to_you_ may be pocket change, or it may be a week's pay. I can't tell from here.

_Only_you_ know that.

You can save a fair chunk of money by buying junkyard parts, but they won't be new (which will be apparent), they likely won't have any warranty, and you may have to remove them yourself (which means more time, compared to buying new parts).

_Only_you_ can determine if that matters _to_you_, or if it's worth the difference in price _to_you_.

Duct tape is even cheaper, but it will look like s**t, and won't last long either.

_Only_you_ can determine if that matters _to_you_, or if it's worth the difference in price _to_you_.

Reply to
Doug Miller

time or money, hmm, if you were gonna use duct tape you might get mistaken for a honda . The hardest part of the front end cap is lining them up properly. If you can afford it, pay for it, if not, do it yourself, you already have the diagram. See a junkyard or 6thplanet used auto parts. marx404

Reply to
marx404

Good advise. I just replaced simular parts on my daughters SC2. (fender tub and a skirt). It was missing when she bought it and without it road dirt and spray goes right into door hinge area which is not good. Also on junkyard parts the plastic used in them tends to get brittle with age and cracks or breaks easier so you really want new. My parts did not cost that much and I got dealer to give me a discount too (they were really pretty good about it). One tip, a few of her fender clip holes were damaged too so it was not possible to secure it properly so I rane a bead of clear silicone rated for plactic between insert and fender lip in the questionable ares and it yeilded a nice solid installation that still can be removed if need be.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

Another thing to consider is that some of the plastic parts support other plastic parts and if you leave them flopping around more damage can result... put another way, the parts rely on each other for structural integrity. In the old days metal would bend but it generally stayed together and you could get away without fixing things in a timely fashion. Today more damage may result... Course the 36-37 I'm getting with my SL2 on the highway is about 30 MPG better than I used to get with the 5,000 lb 455 CID equipped behemoth I drove around town in the late 70s. ;~)

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

Geez thanks for the surmon!.My time IS valuable to me!,these 3 steps were my way of making sure that would happen.These parts are obviouslt inter linked,as i was saying abut the wheel well part.$230 is a sizable amount,thats why i was cosidering alternates.I guess I'll go with getting those pieces,I take pride in my Ion.

Reply to
teem

Very true indeed and good advise!

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

this is a crazy idea, but if you can squeeze it in your budget, this would be an opportune time to think about a front end body kit part. I know they can be expensive, but maybe a front spoiler lip? Just an idea. Best of luck.

marx404

Reply to
marx404

thanks gents for the insights,like I said,i was weighing my options.I live in ne ohio & am traveling to Missouri for Tgiving,i definatly want my ''parts'' togeather before I leave.My insurance won't pay for part of this,will they?.

Reply to
teem

Comprehensive would but your deductible would come off the top. Most companies would argue that you should have reported it before now though... If you submit a claim it would probably make sense to have a body shop do the work.

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

I dont know about your local Saturn shop, but a good one may take thier own initiative and work with you and your ins. co. to get a speedy repair and get thier retribution back from the ins. co. My old shpo in Stuart di this with many ppl after the last 3 hurricanes.

marx404

Reply to
marx404

Depends on the cause of damage. If it was while driving down the road or from another car impact it would be collision. If it was storm, fire or vandal damage it would be comprehensive. Both have their own deductable though depending on your policy.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

As I recall he hit a raccoon.... that's comp like it would be if you hit a deer (gotten a couple of them over the years).

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

I could be wrong but that is collision. ALso while most people do not know it you can sue the state (most do it if you ask them enough) because if it was a regulated animal for hunting, the state is responsible for the damage it causes. They di not tell you that though unless you push the issue. You will need a police report at time of damage.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

This might be dependent upon the state... I know that my claims were paid under comp. In fact, the first time it happened I didn't have collision on the car as it was rather old. It's one of those "act of God" things.

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

Most states do not tell you that they are liable but they are. The key here is if you hit a regulated animal. If it is a animal that the state names as controlled for hunting or to not hunt, you have grounds to file a claim against them because they "control" or "manage" it so they are responsible for it.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

Interesting. My understanding was (at least in the state I was in when I heard this) that the opposite is true -- you kill a deer with your car (at least outside of hunting season; maybe even during season if you don't have a license), you pay a fine for violating the game control law.

Reply to
Steve

Law or not I cannot see how that could stand in court if you hit a deer. Something very fishy here. If the state did not regulate the animal then they can claim they are not liable.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

I can't imagine that's correct. Anywhere.

Reply to
Doug Miller