Re: Clutch Problems with '97 Camry

Thanks Mike (#4) & Wolfgang (#5).

Mike, No, the terrain where I live is not hilly & neither am I in constant stop & go traffic. This is also not my first manual transmission either. So that leaves your other question as to whether I am a clutch rider or not ? Not fully sure what you mean by that but if you are asking whether I drive, with my left foot constantly pressing the clutch pedal, then no. In fact over the last couple of years both myself & my wife are very conscious of this fact & try to take utmost care with the clutch.

Wolfgang,

Are you slipping the clutch when starting off ?

Really not sure what you mean by that. Please elaborate.

Using it to brake the car

No

Speed shifting to break loose the tires ?

Again not sure what you mean by that. But one thing I do is say I am on the highway & about to take the next exit. Then instead of successively changing gears from 5, 4, 3 ,2 ..., I put the car into neutral strainght away. My reasoning being, less gear change, means less amout of time the clutch is pressed.

Towing something, driving in San Francisco, driving with your foot on the > clutch petal, stop and go NYC traffic?

No, No, No, No.

What makes you believe they needed to be replaced? Was car reving but not > picking up speed especially in higher gears?

Yes, that was the case the first 3 times. This time the Toyota dearlership from where I went for the oil change said so though I did not feel anything yet while driving. But given the recent history, I would tend to believe him.

Did you see the worn clutch plates.

I have the the clutch from the last time it was changed. Not sure what to look for or how to tell what is worn out.

Did you also replace the pressure plate and throw-out bearing? What about the > hydralic cylinders? Petal free play can be adjusted too.

Not sure of all this. But all the time the replacement was done at quite reputable places (twice at Toyota dealerships). I guess they would/should have done that. But I don't know. (You can see that I am a complete novice in such things.)

With that expense I'd go for an automatic next time.

For sure. Though I have been driving 5-speed for last 12 years, never again am I going to buy another one.

Reply to
Sudipto Ghosh

I wonder if your rear main seal has started to leak and put a little oil on your flywheel/clutch causing some slippage... Go for an automatic next time. They get about the same mileage, never have to worry about clutches, have better resale value and shift smoother than I ever could. Of course starting from hills is not a white knuckle adventure with an automatic. You will not spill as much coffee while driving too! Rob.

Reply to
ROBMURR

In news: snipped-for-privacy@mb-m18.aol.com, ROBMURR being of bellicose mind posted:

With centrifugal force and a flywheel between the rear main seal and the clutch friction disc, how does oil find its way to the friction disc?

--
- Philip @ Maximum Torque RPM
Reply to

My theory is: as the oil works its way past the knackered rear main-seal it does indeed meet the flywheel which flings it on to the bell-housing where it eventually drips down onto the clutch. No doubt Phil you have seen quite a few greasy oily clutch housings (bellhousing for those of British motoring venacular).

Mine has oil on the clutch courtesy of oil-change abuse causing the rear main to go hard. While it doesn't judder (vibrate) much around town due to lower flywheel speeds, after a long trip in summer, it returns :-(

Jason

Jason

Reply to
Jason James