Re: Increase oil "Weight" in old cars?

I recall Castrol GTX (do they still make it?) having a great film which doesn't dissipate like most other oils. This stuff stopped the oil consumption of a Ford 460 cu in truck engne that the owner was about ready to torch.

Aye, Phillip touched on a point in the "camry Oil change mess" thread > that I would like to chase down. > > Is it advised to go to thicker oil as a car ages. > > I have an '87 Corolla. It uses about a quart of oil every three months. > Several little "seeps" here and there that my mechanic says are not > worth spending money on. > > I have religiously changed the oil and filter every 3,000 miles > following the break-in period with the recommended 10W-40 oil. Good oil > and good filters. > > Now, with 230K on the car and a "noisy" engine, would I be advised to > shift to another oil. I'm in the Pacific Northwest where we will have > an occassional 28-degree low, but for the most part the winter driving > temps are mid 30s to mid 50s and in the summer it ranges from lows of > 55 to the rare 102. > > Mostly local, low speed, country driving. >
Reply to
Bob H

There are better oils out today

Reply to