Oil

Okay,

I've had the thing a week now so it's time for a service.

Just as a reminder for everyone, we're talking about a 1990 740 SE 2.0i Auto Estate.

What is the best type of oil to put in the lump? Semi-synthetic or synthetic and also 10/40 or 15/40?

Thanks,

Richard

Reply to
Richard Setford

I'd doubt there'd be much benefit in using synthetic if it has not been used up till now.

I use Castrol GTX in my '87 740. They do a version for high mileage cars now, though I'm not sure what the difference is, and it doesn't seem to make much difference to either oil consumption or fuel economy.

15W/40 is fine for UK use, unless you are in the north of Scotland in winter, where 10W/40 may be better.

I'd also be happy to use Duckhams, Silkolene, or any other well established quality oil.

Reply to
Stewart Hargrave

Thanks for that. I've used the Castrol High Mileage stuff before so if it's been okay for you, I'm sute it'll be alright for me.

The last couple of cars I've had have been more 'performance' cars so I guess that's why I'm a bit biased towards sythetic oils.

Regards,

Richard

Reply to
Richard Setford

Not wanting to restart the synthetic oil controversy, but I changed to synthetic in our '85 765T because I was tired of the deposit buildup in the crankcase ventilation and engine induction system. IIRC it was a guru here who expressed that he had worked on a similar model that had used synthetic oil and the throttle body didn't have the deposits.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Okay, that's thrown a spanner in the works!

Right everyone, we'll sort this out the old fashioned way.

Please cast your votes for either sythetic, semi-synthetic or 'normal' oil here. No debate (just yet), just votes for now.

Thanks,

Richard

Reply to
Richard Setford

message

Full Synthetic!!

/Erik Lidén, from the cold north of Sweden

Reply to
Erik Lidén

No, please! We've seen this myriad times here and other places! It never goes anywhere. We can each make our own choices - we don't need to identify a "winner" or "loser." Now I'm sorry I even mentioned it.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

I think you are right that synthetic oil won't leave deposits like mineral oil does, but I have heard, anecdotally, that if you switch from mineral to synthetic, the old deposits in the engine can be softened and break away, leaving you with gallery-clogging sized bits of crud floating around in the oil. This is not desireable.

My feeling is that on a car of this age, switching to synthetic is not really going to prolong its life more than regular changes of mineral oil, so the price difference cannot be justified. Good quality mineral oil, used properly, has seen a great many Volvos achieve high mileage.

Reply to
Stewart Hargrave

Don't be like that Mike.

This is a new area for me and I just wanted to get a balanced opinion. I'm not after a winner or loser to go 'ner ner ner ner ner' at, I just want the best for my car.

What's wrong with that?

I hope you can see my point of view,

Richard

Reply to
Richard Setford

I can see your point, but I can also see Mike's. So here's what you can do. Google has an archive of this group. The archive is searchable. I have attached a link to previous discussions on the same topic. Opinions haven't changed since then, and we won't have to go through the rigmarole of pissing on other people's opinions once again. Here's the link - good luck with your decision:

In case the link is too long, here is a TinyURL of the same search:

And if neither works, the search term was "synthetic or dino oil" using Google groups, and restricted to "alt.autos.volvo".

Beverly

Reply to
Bev A. Kupf

Good thinking.

I'll try that. the last thing I want to do is annoy anyone

Reply to
Richard Setford

Why dont we all use Amsoil and support the cult !!

Reply to
Andy Coles

I am using B.P synthetic oil because I want our 3 Volvos to last .2 are turbos so its a must for the heat and wear tear .Its costs to replace a motor We are using 5-40 @ 300k 240k and 160 k no oil consumption no oil grunge build up .As for the Amsoil cult ,we dont have such oil here,thank goodness. Too much hype .

Reply to
John Robertson