Re: One reason not to buy a future Toyota

I'm inclined to agree, though I can see the reasons why they're putting them in.

Coyoteboy

Ignoring his agents wishes,"Coyoteboy" flung open the hotel room door and announced to the gathering crowd:

I would think the civil rights groups in the US will put a quick end to this technology.

People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs.

-Unknown

Remove "die spammers" to email

Reply to
wideglide01diespammers

LOL...could be...

actually they don't bother you at all...unless you sneak up on em and scare em.

....of course if I'm at 'room temperature' they might just have a snack or two...

Scott in Florida

Reply to
Scott in Florida

Typical paranoid liberal.

Reply to
SHARX.

In news:c1qc1j$r3m$ snipped-for-privacy@hercules.btinternet.com, Coyoteboy being of bellicose mind posted:

WE ALL SEE WHY!!!! The difference is in our revulsion or acceptance of the intrusion. When the car is a rental, that's ENTIRELY different from when I OWN the damned car!!!

--
- Philip @ Maximum Torque RPM
Reply to

In news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, snipped-for-privacy@cox.net being of bellicose mind posted:

The ACLU? LOL Only if it affected a recognized minority, a felon, or burdened the "poor." ;-)

--
- Philip @ Maximum Torque RPM
Reply to

SHARX ..... you callin' ME a Liberal?

--
- Philip @ Maximum Torque RPM
Reply to

Well, having driven old junkers in the past, I have NO desire to repeat the experience. I'm sure my backyard Toyota mechanic could de-activate any such device. He's also a computer nut.

Reply to
SHARX.

And me too?

--

"I am saddened that Vietnam has yet again been inserted into the campaign." "We do not need to divide America over who served and how." John Kerry, Feb 27, 1992

"I will be voting to give the President of the United States the authority to use force ? if necessary ? to disarm Saddam Hussein because I believe that a deadly arsenal of weapons of mass destruction in his hands is a real and grave threat to our security."--Sen. John F. Kerry (D, MA), Oct. 9, 2002.

"We are in possession of what I think to be compelling evidence that Saddam Hussein has, and has had for a number of years, a developing capacity for the production and storage of weapons of mass destruction. "[W]ithout question, we need to disarm Saddam Hussein. He is a brutal, murderous dictator, leading an oppressive regime ... He presents a particularly grievous threat because he is so consistently prone to miscalculation. And now he has continued deceit and his consistent grasp for weapons of mass destruction ... So the threat of Saddam Hussein with weapons of mass destruction is real ... Sen. John F. Kerry (D, MA), Jan. 23. 2003.

Reply to
=?windows-1252?Q?MDT_Tech=AE?=

I'm sure the speed is still measured mechanically somewhere..

Seems easy to just halfen the measured speed... and off you go!

Good for return value of the car as well ;-)

"Philip®" wrote:

Reply to
Roeland Marco Drupsteen

In news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, Roeland Marco Drupsteen being of bellicose mind posted:

You need to do some homework. Mechanical speedo drives are becoming a rarity. BUT there are solid state "boxes" out there for cars and motorcycles that trick speedometers by up to 20% by setting DIP switches. BUT, there is a way in BMW (surely others) to read the ECU's history. BMW's system will flag a code (only accessible with their scan software) when accumulated engine revolutions are out of bounds for the accumulated vehicle mileage. The feature is used for warranty purposes where it's apparent that the car has more miles than the odometer shows.

--
- Philip @ Maximum Torque RPM
Reply to

I need what? I needen't do anything i think...

Nevertheless, Thanks for the insight. Allways a pleasure to learn something.

I think though, lower-market-end models will not have such 'counter- measures' for a while. I have not had a motor-cycle with a non-mechanical speedo/odo by the way. Could be my choice of bikes offcourse.

Well.. i guess the plot thinkens then. Soon our own propperty will report us to the police.. Our cellphones allready tell 'someone' where we are/were. Want a good aliby? LEAVE YOUR PHONE AT HOME. haahhaha

Reply to
Roeland Marco Drupsteen

You know better than to ask that.

Reply to
SHARX.

Me TOO!!!!!

Reply to
Scott

IT should be simple to cheat any such device.

Reply to
SHARX..

We shouldn't have to cheat a device. The device should not be!

Reply to
Scott

Yep - you could actually drive the speed limit, what a concept huh?

Reply to
WiScottsin

Many speed limits are straight out of the 1940's...no engineering basis.

Reply to
SHARX..

Scott ... I've got JUST the vehicle for you. I was "given" an old diesel powered Datsun pickup. The only electronics is the radio and the the two modules governing the glow plugs and the injection pump controller! Nobody can trace me .... unless they starting looking for a cloud of black smoke going over the hill! ;-)

--
- Philip @ Maximum Torque RPM
Reply to

Any such tattle or spy device can be integrated so well into the vehicle electronics that the only way around it will be to install a "pre-spy" ECU.

--
- Philip @ Maximum Torque RPM
Reply to