Replacing Battery in '95 Camry - Anti-Theft prfecautions?

How hard is it to replace the battery in the LE four with radio and vehicle anti-theft systems? How long without power until the alarms lose memory and reset? Can I run power through the lighter socket (ignition on) safely to keep the system powered, or can I use a battery charger connected to the cables as I remove them?

Reply to
mj

I would think reset everything and take your time to clean the cables of corosion and grease the terminals. Ive has many times thought my battery was bad but it was only corrosion buildup on the cables-terminals, but just looking at it, it looked clean, It happened to me just last week it would not charge. Did you check the water in the battery, some " maintenace Free" need water once in a while.

Reply to
m Ransley

Do not run a battery charger to the cables without the battery connected! check the lighter socket for power even with the key off, you can safely run *battery* power there. There is a tool for that purpose that uses a 9v battery connected to a light plug, it wouldnt last long with the key on I would suspect because of all the accessories being on:). I have no idea what happens to the Camry alarm with the battery disconnected, I would guess nothing though.

Reply to
ShoeSalesman

=============== Write down your radio presets, then just change the battery. When you reconnect the terminals and the alarm begins sounding, just turn it off with the remote.

Reply to
Daniel

Reply to
Wolfgang

Do you have another car?? Hook jumper cables up. (-) to body ground Hook the (+) to the starter. Remove battery,clean cables Hook up new battery disconnect cables

Reply to
sqdancerLynn

That's probably the best idea I've seen. Thanks.

Reply to
mj

I have a 2001 4 cyl camry. It has aftermarket power remote door locks installed by Toyota Gulf South, the importer. There is a red light that blinks when their locked. If I change the battery will I have a problem with the radio or the door locks? I don't see any other security system and I see no way to enter a code to the radio.

Reply to
Roger Blake