96 Grand Am radio code

I bought a 1996 Pontiac Grand Am SE last week. It has the Theft Loc radio and it works good. However, I need to remove the battery and the Haynes repair manual warns that I need a code to restore the radio after I put the battery back in.

How can I retrieve the codes before I remove the battery?

TIA

Bill

96 Grand Am SE snipped-for-privacy@gflocfk.net remove all "f"'s from address
Reply to
Bill

If you can find a cigarette lighter power adaptor, you can splice the wires to 9 volt battery. Install that in the socket before removing car battery and radio will not lose memory. GW

Bill wrote:

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

In the manual for the car there should be a way to get the codes. If it's not there though use Geoff's way or else you're going to be without the radio for a little bit.

Reply to
Phillip Schmid

I had that problem a few years ago with my 94 grand prix. the dealer gave me the code for unlocking the theftguard. I'll send it to you via email tomorrow. should work on all theftguard systems.

Reply to
John5240

Thanks all that replied. The led that indicates that theftguard is engaged is not lit. I took a chance and disconnected the battery. When I reconnected the battery, the radio continued to work. Whew.

But, now another radio problem. The radio led display doesn't light up (never did) no matter what the reostat setting is on the instrumets lights (which all work).

Any ideas on that?

Bill