slow to downshift

1997 Camry 4 Automatic 107K miles

The transmission shifts smoothly and is fine in every other way. But it is slow to downshift when accelerating and you must pretty much stomp it to force a downshift.

Is this something I could adjust or should I take it in for service?

Reply to
badgolferman

could be an adjustment of the throttle position sensor (TPS) required. The factory service manual gives the procedure. On my '94, it was connect an ohm meter to specified terminals, then insert a thickness gauge of specified thickness and check for continuity. Also was a reading given for wide open throttle IIRC. I did all these adjustments when the throttle body was removed to replace the idle air control valve. I mention the TPS because that is one main input to your electronically controlled transmission (for downshifting) - throttle position. Another thing to check, although this has more influence on upshifting, would be the cable that runs from the round wheel at the throttle body to the transmission. Sorry forgot the correct term. It feeds a mechanical sense to the transmission for throttle position. On mine, after adjusting the throttle cable, the transmission cable was OK. Adjust the throttle cable by checking for wide open throttle. I did this by placing a short length of 2x4 over the gas pedal inside the car, and then a large concrete cinder block over the wood to press the gas pedal fully to the floor. The under the hood, check to see if there is still "play" or looseness in the throttle cable. If so, turn the adjustment sleeve at the throttle body so that the throttle valve is fully open. You should also make sure there is still some slack in the cable at idle position, but I had no problem there. Not sure if these items would be enough to correct your problem, but in my case both items did require some adjustment, and both seemed to improve responsiveness of the transmission overall - both downshifting and upshifting.

Reply to
Daniel