speakers in '99 Camry?

What rear speakers are installed on the '99 Camry?

I'm thinking of replacing the rear speakers in my '96, and I really like the sound of the '99 ones.

Mike

Reply to
onehappymadman

OEM speakers are crappy as hell. Even the cheapest aftermarket speakers at BestBuy will be much better. I believe that they are 6x9 size, but most retailers (or electronic retailer websites) can confirm that.

I replaced all my 98 speakers with Boston Acoustics, but that is probably overkill for most people.

Reply to
Mark A

Wow, really! I guess I'll shop Best Buy then...

Did you also replace the CD player also? I've got a Kenwood in my '96, since Kenwood had a reputation for good strong bass... I'm not hearing the bass tho. It's 45 watts/channel, I think...

Reply to
onehappymadman

OH NO not Worse Buy! Got to Crutchfield.com --- they aren't really 6x9. They have an OEM 3 point (not 4) mount. Crutchfield will supply adapter plate - suspect they recomment 6 or 5 1/2" round speakers. They also provide the appropriate plus and installation insrtuctions. I used Sony Xplode 3 way in my '93.

Reply to
Wolfgang

Thanks for that.

I visited their website, yes I saw the 5-1/4" round ones (Kenwood KFC-1379ie).

I clicked on a 6x9 Kenwood KFC-6949S (which Crutchfield said would also fit), and the Crutchfield installation instructions said to re-drill the mounting screw holes.

Re-drill on the speaker, or re-drill the car?

Not sure if this will help, here's the link to the product:

Thanks,

Mike

Reply to
onehappymadman

I replaced everything (front and rear speakers, receiver, power amp in trunk, and 10 disc player in the trunk) and spend about $1800 including installation (probably not what you want to do).

I did not use BestBuy, but they have decent prices, and installation help if you need it. If you think you are up to the installation yourself, it doesn't matter where you purchase, but BestBuy does have pretty reasonable return policies.

Reply to
Mark A

Well, the ones in my 99 Camry sound perfectly fine to me. Not all of us have to have the sound turned up to 150 decibels, with thundering bass, sufficient to vibrate nearby house windows.

Reply to
Sharx35

I don't have a sub-woofer and don't play mine particularly loud. But I am used to good audio equipment. I am not sure why you associate quality with extremely high volume.

Reply to
Mark A

WTF? This is a political newsgroup, not a weather newsgroup!!

Reply to
Mark A

Yes we do!

I have MB Quarts all the way around in my Supra (no small feat, I might add) and a 12" sub powered by a 300W amp.

There is no place BUT my car I can crank it up, and when I pull the roof, I want to hear the radio.

Plus, I like nice sound. Shoot, I got MB Quarts and Infinitys in my Caravan!

Reply to
Hachiroku

It's great that you enjoy nice sound. Enjoy it now, before your hearing is destroyed. Also, you have absolutely NO right in forcing others to hear YOUR choice of music.

Reply to
Sharx35