Sport Tires for 2000 Camry?

I have a manual transmission 2000 Camry that has always had sport tires on it. Currently I have a set of Dunlop SP Sport A2 tires that need replacement. I have been happy with those, but are there any other recommendations anyone would make?

Size is P205/65R15.

Thanks

Reply to
marmar5

You might look at Michelin although they are a little more expensive. I have the Michellin "Pilot" series sport tires on my 1999 V6 Camry and like them. On the other hand I have your same Dunlop A2 tires on an Altima. My son has the same A2s on his 2001 XLE and we're both happy with them. The Dunlops might have a slight edge if you have a lot of wet driving besodes being a little cheaper.

Reply to
Orv

A2 are not Sport tires but are original tires that are just all weather, I had them, they went hard and dangerously slippery after 5 years, Michelins and many others have much better ratings then A2, The A2 is an outdated design, you will be happier with with any high grade tire. Mine got to the point my fronts spun on wet aceleration, and locked on wet.

Reply to
m Ransley

How many miles did you put on the tires during those 5 years? I don't like the A2, but any tire that receives use and is ever parked in the sunlight is going to see a big change in the way the tire grips due to heat-cycling, even if it has tread left.

I could only expect 5 year old A2's to be dangerous to drive on. The same goes for any other auto tire, they were not made to last 10 years or anything like that.

Even a tire that is unused and left in a dark garage is going to change for the worse after 5 years. I would not want to run unused 5 year old tires on my car. The high-performance tires that I use lose most of their grip and tread by 15,000-20,000 miles. That means a tire replacement every 1 1/2 to 2 years on average. Of course, this is not on a Camry. ;-)

Pat

Reply to
pws

Reply to
Wolfgang

I think they had 45000 on them and it was garaged, I wore out Michelin fronts in 40000 so I had no warranty. Tires oxidise and go hard and slippery, you dont realise it till you spin out or hit something. When I just put on new Michelin fronts my 5 yr old rears spun me out in snow, so I replaced all 4 even though rear tred was real good.

Reply to
m Ransley

Modern tire? Even though tires have improved, the part that contacts the road is still a rubber compound that becomes a little bit harder every single time that the tire heats up and cools down.

The tire may last for 6 years or more, and "dangerous" is a subjective term here, but there is no way that the tires are going to be gripping as well after several years of use as they were when they were new, even if they have plenty of tread. When that loss of grip becomes "dangerous" to you depends on a lot of factors.

Pat

Reply to
pws