Tires for '98 Camry LE 4-cyl?

Hello all,

I have to replace the tires soon on my '98 Camry and would like to get some opinions. I live in Pittsburgh PA and want to get an all-season tire that will go in the snow, although tread life and overall handling are also very important. I drive 70% local and 30% highway over lots of steep hills and curves. The roads around here are pretty lousy and when it rains, hydroplaning can be a big problem. I was looking at the Dunlop SP Sport A2 and the original equipment SP 40 A/S's until reading some really poor reviews on the tread life. I really like the Michelin brand but can't find very many reviews by Camry owners. The two Michelin tire models I've seen recomended for the Camry are the 'Harmony' and the 'HydroEdge'. Any suggestions or opinions? TIA

NRJ

"Very funny Scotty..... Now beam down my clothes!"

Reply to
Navin R. Johnson

Michelin X-One - Standard Touring All-Season should be good choice, BJ and Costco also sell this tires under Michelin X redial name. check

for more info.

Reply to
us_eagle

SIMEX make a reasonabley priced tyre which perfroms well and has a higher and wider profile. S800 I think.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

Simex never heard of them in USA

Reply to
mark Ransley

I was looking at the Harmony but found a very good sale on the X-1. I've been VERY pleased with them; they behave themselves in the wet, and on dry pavement don't even squeak when I nearly put the doorhandles on the pavement while cornering.

(The Firestones that came on the car were awful)

Reply to
Scott Schuckert

Dunlops Ive had got hard and useless after 5 years , they lost all traction. Consumer reports has rated tires. Michelin were tested to loose the least amount of air over periods. I always use michelin and have always been satisfied

Reply to
mark Ransley

Initially I liked the Dunlop Sport A2 but the wore out real quick like 20,000 miles. I have a set of Sumitomo(they own Dunlop) with a longer wear warranty and better tread design and they are wearing well. My local shop has had bad luck on Camry cars with the Dunlop Sports but good with the Sumitomo tires..So far I like them.

Reply to
ROBMURR

They are sold there. Simex are made in Malaysia and concentrate on 'performance tyres'.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

NRJ - I'm running Michelin X's from Costco, and love them. They're quiet, have good traction, and handle well in both city and highway driving. My only concern is whether you can still get this model. I've put about 18,000 miles on them, and they're holding up well. I'd buy them again.

Reply to
Aren

That's fine. Aren't most Michelins around $100 per tire? What happened to the Yokahama Avid Touring tires for around $40 from Tire Rack that were always rated so highly for comfort, good handling, quiet ride and long life?

Reply to
Daniel M. Dreifus

Both spellings in Australia.

Jason