strut stabilizer bar ? >>>Supers

Anyone have this bar that reinforces shock towers? Is it a waste of time/money for a street daily driver? Do I tell the mechanic when the car gets an alignment that it "allows 1" positive camber"? thanks paul

Reply to
pmbedard

I'm wondering this myself, too.

David Gravereaux

Unless you intend to take the car to track meetings(no, not1/4 mile) they are for show only....

J.

Reply to
BergRace

I have one of those in my '73 super. If you are a slow driving and quiet person, you won't feel much of a difference. But if you like to race around the city or do circuits, you'll feel the difference.

IMHO, it is useful to have one installed no matter what driving style you have. You never know when you need to drive like a hellspawn and take corners at 100MPH.

Karls

Reply to
Karls Vladimir Peña

I've used that argument with my wife for certain items to add to our bug, and it works... I have to be careful to not abuse that privilege with the "safety" argument...

Reply to
David Gravereaux

Reply to
Karls Vladimir Peña

Actually, I forgot to see if Topline sells these. I did buy a moderate set of lowering springs from them when I got my '72 Super - the front was really up in the air. They work splendidly, and I hold Topline in high regard. I know I'm not going rock jumping with this car, and it tops out @85, but I wondered if it could help in highway winds, and just give some more structural rigidity. Someone smart posted that it is a good idea if you're going to cut any bodywork off the front - and that makes sense. I guess I'll forego this item, and remember to be selective and detached when I see these types of things in the back of VW magazines...

Reply to
pmbedard

and why not just weld a bar across the front of your trunk for some reinforcement??

Reply to
pmbedard

Ditto. Their disc brake kit is well done.

IMO, 100 pounds of sandbags in the front will fix that. My `73 Super does the same on the highway in cross winds. The issue isn't structural. The car is just too light in the front. And for me the extra weight balances the KYB GR-2 struts and makes the ride perfect instead of stiff.

Reply to
David Gravereaux

I personally think the bar is worth it and for you with a mildly lowered front a Kamei chin spoiler that attaches to the front bumper makes a TREMENDOUS difference on highway speeds.. Rocky mountain motoroworks and ac.net i believe both sell them..

well worth in my opinion..

BTW we both have 72 Super beetles Jeremie

1972 SB
VdubBeetle1972

As long as the welded bar goes strut to strut it will do the same thing,Triangulate the suspendtion.The first thing trans-am racers did in the

Reply to
Ilambert

Very nice car and webpage. The baby blue does look good, and you must have put a great deal of work into the whole project...I found out that body prep is indeed extremely important - I temporarily sprayed mine with Krylon Int'l Harvester red, and it looks fine in most areas

- but a real paint job is a must... it's amazing to see how many different things have been done with VW's, and this is a big part of the appeal...

Reply to
pmbedard

On 4 Feb 2004 22:48:49 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net (pmbedard) ran around screaming and yelling:

Jeremie's car is very much different looking these days...he *needs* to update his site!!!!! come on Jer show us the pics with the nice wheels and tires..... JT

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

I know I know.. Im busy with work and such what can i say.. maybe i will get some stuff together and update..

Dont worry i will post update when i get to it.. just for you Chris..

Jeremie

1972 SB
VdubBeetle1972