Control Arm / Stabilizer bar bushing?

Hi

I have a 1987 Camry.

Does the bushing, the one where that the Sway (stabilizer) bar goes through the control arm, require to be pressed in or out, or does it just sit loose after the 22mm nut is loosened?

Thanks

Reply to
Tube Audio

Someone asked a question along these lines recently - was it you?

Remove the bolt that holds the collar that holds the bushing, remove the collar, and you should be able to remove the bushing, which is split, a 5 minute job per side.

Reply to
Ray O

Ray O

Thanks for the reply.

Not sure what you mean by loose the bolt. There is no bolt. There is a nut that threads onto the end of the sway bar.

The sway bar goes through two bushing on each side, there are bushing on the front and back of the hole.

Sounds like if I remove the 22mm sway bar nut that I can get the bushing on the backside off, but will have to pull the sway bar forward through the hole to remove the bushing on the frontside.

Don't think I can get the sway bar pull that far forward on one side if the otherside is not also pulled forward. Also I guess I will have to remove the bolts that hold the sway bar to the underside of the car so I can get the bar to move forward to get the threaded ends of the sway bar out of the control arm to replace the frontside bushing.

Does this sound correct?

Also should I do this will the wheels hanging or should I do this while the car is on ramps?

Thanks

Reply to
Tube Audio

Sorry, I was thinking of a completely different setup. You can get the repair manuals for your car at

if this link doesn't work:

I think the bushings you are talking about are pressed onto the sway bar and are not user-replaceable.

You will have to use jack stands as the wheels have to come off.

Good luck!

Reply to
Ray O