Temp Gauge

86' Camry Manual transmission 128K miles

I've recently been having problems with my temperature gauge. Instead of starting off cold and slowing moving to a steady reading in the middle, it fluctuates wildly. I find that in neutral, the needle drops to C even when revving the engine, but upon engagement of the clutch and during acceleration, the needle rises to the usual central position. Has any one else had this problem and if so, any idea of what would be wrong? It wasn't a major problem in the winter but now that temperatures are rising, I don't want to risk overheating the engine unintentionally.

Thanks

Reply to
Juan D. Chaparro

Check the connector is tight at the sensor,..also get someone to wiggle the wireing to the sensor while you look at the gauge.

I had a Chrysler which had the temp gauge go full scale, then to nothing and inbetween. It turned out the connector had come off and was touching the engine- block intermittantly making contact.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James