Timing Question ??? Help ANY1?? Please!

Can anyone please let me know if your car will still run and idle fine if your timing is slightly out of time, or if it would not start or drive down the road? Or if it would drive down the road if there would be any signs wit hthe way it was running that would show it was out of time? Thank you for any replies I very much appreciate them.

Reply to
smiths

Generally, IIRC, advanced timing will run ok but will detonate (ping) badly. Retarded timing will not run well. The exact symptoms will depend on how far off it is. You can get anything from just pinging, to backfiring to a blown or non-running engine.

Reply to
mj

================ You need to clarify whether you are referring to valve timing or ignition timing. They're related but different. The distributor is driven by the camshaft on the '94 4 cyl. If you timing belt is off one tooth, from what I've heard, the car will still run, but with less power. Seems a common source of trouble is the ignition coil under the distributor cap, but since you said you're getting spark, didn't suggest that. Perhaps see if you're getting a strong and consistent spark.

Reply to
Daniel

I would think a cheap timing light would answer your question. If you are more than 10 degrees or so out it may not run, But within its range of 10 degrees, advanced makes it run hotter and preignition, retarded you loose power, milage and temp. Try a timing light

Reply to
m Ransley

Just wanted to let every1 who helped me out with a reply to this that I finally took it to a qualified mechanic and it was the ignition coil in the distributer. Thank you all who helped with answers. Have a good day all.

Mrs. Smith

Reply to
smiths