tires, tire chains, tire size

I did a quick group search, as well as searching through tirerack.com, but could find no answers.

Here's the problem. I had a minivan crushed by a tree a few weeks ago. Tire size was 205/75R15.

I have a nice, hardly used set of diamond tire chains for that size tire. $80 or so new for the diamond chains.

I have an '03 Camry with 205/65/R15 OEM tires. For that car I have a cheap set of cable chains, that are OK much of the time but no match for the traction of the diamond chains. $18 or so new for the cable chains.

The camry needs new tires. The chains from the van will fit:

205R15 or 205/75R15 and then a number of 215 and 225 sizes.

Any chance of them fitting the camry? What about that 205R15 number? Is that the same as a 205/65R15?

If I'm buying new shoes for the camry next week anyway, can I go to any size that will fall into this spectrum?

As I say, I looked at tire rack, thought they had a chart of some kind, but couldn't find any help. tim

Reply to
timbirr

Where do you live? I've been driving for 46 years and have NEVER had any need for chains OR snow tires. Simply adjust YOUR driving to conditions. Remember as long as there is ONE vehicle nearby without chains or snow times, you lose the advantage because YOU should be driving defensively to accommodate their lesser ability.

Reply to
sharx35

Stupid question that I asked, realized it after I sent it. The easiest way for me to find out if they will fit is to try it, duh...sorry to be so dense.

And my dirt driveway is about 500 yards long goes from 400 feet to the house at 974 feet. About three times a year the ONLY way to make it is with chains. And sometimes they won't even cut it.

Also, out here > >I did a quick group search, as well as searching through tirerack.com,

Reply to
timbirr

Your need for such equipment is understood. 99% of the time, though, chains and/or snow tires are NOT needed.

Reply to
sharx35